*This internship is for the Winter 2024 term*Do you want to help engineer what’s next?Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is a national engineering firm committed to delivering holistic advice for our clients’ most complex challenges. We leverage our collective and diverse experience, technical expertise, and industry knowledge of structures and building enclosures, advanced analysis, code consulting, and applied science & research to deliver unrivaled, comprehensive solutions that drive superior performance. With more than 600 employees in eight office locations throughout the United States, SGH’s industry-leading teams constantly seek to advance the meaning of what’s possible.We want someone passionate about engineering who wants to gain invaluable experience.Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is seeking current students for a 2024 Winter, Spring and/or Summer Civil Engineering Internship and/or Co-op in our Waltham office.As a Civil Engineering Intern or Co-op, you will work side-by-side with industry-leading experts in the office and in the field to gain hands-on experience while applying classroom knowledge to real-world challenges.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Assist with and develop your engineering skills on a breadth of projects that may include:
- Land development projects in the public and private setting across several markets
- Adaptive re-use renovations
- Sustainable development concepts, including urban recharge
- Flood-exposure evaluation and mitigation
- Detailed due diligence and risk assessment
- Utilities and drainage investigation and design
- Detailed hydrologic and hydraulic analysis
- Plaza reconstruction
- Accessibility evaluation and repairs
- Pavement evaluation, investigation, and design
- Pump system investigation and design
- Detailed data analytics with Civil3D and other software
- Preparation of construction documents, specifications, written reports, and presentations
- Collaborate with SGH’s Geotechnical, Marine, Structural, and Building Technology groups on slope and shoreline stabilization, retaining wall systems, footing drainage systems, sub-slab dewatering systems, floodproofing, plaza drainage systems, and many other exciting projects.
- Organize field data and assist with research to facilitate analysis, problem solving, and repair design.
- Perform analysis under the guidance of licensed professionals using a combination of hand calculations and analysis software.
- Assist with preparing client deliverables, including construction documents, specifications, and written reports.
- Work may include travel.
What You’ll Need:
- Currently enrolled and plan to complete a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Interest in civil engineering.
- High grades in their studies.
- Interest in learning through hands-on work experience in a consulting engineering environment.
- Enthusiastic about the challenges associated with the development of sophisticated engineering work product in an atmosphere of high professionalism.
- Strong communication abilities.
What makes careers at SGH so special?The only way to advance is to question and explore. Every member of the SGH team is both a learner and an educator, committed to advancing ourselves, our teams, and our industry. Together we are creating a community that never settles for what is, but always seeks what could be.There are many reasons to love SGH.
- Our Work: Our clients trust us to bring clarity and deliver outstanding solutions for their most complex projects.
- Our People: We are bold thinkers and compassionate teammates, committed to lifelong learning and professional growth.
- Our Commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back to our professions and communities.
- Our Contribution: We offer a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.