*This internship is for the Winter/Spring 2024 term*Do you want to help engineer what’s next?Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is a national engineering firm committed to delivering holistic advice for our clients’ most complex challenges. We leverage our collective and diverse experience, technical expertise, and industry knowledge of structures and building enclosures, below-grade construction, advanced analysis, code consulting, and applied science & research to deliver unrivaled, comprehensive solutions that drive superior performance. With more than 600 employees in eight office locations throughout the United States, SGH’s industry-leading teams constantly seek to advance the meaning of what’s possible.We want someone passionate about engineering who wants to gain invaluable experience.Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is seeking current students for Winter, Spring and/or Summer 2024 Geotechnical Engineering Internship and/or Co-op in our Waltham office.As a Geotechnical Engineering Intern or Co-op, you will work side-by-side with industry-leading experts in the office and in the field to gain hands-on experience while applying classroom knowledge to real-world challenges.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Assist with and develop your engineering skills on a breadth of projects that may include:
- Engineering investigations, analyses, and design of structures that include deep and shallow foundations, ground improvement systems, earth retaining structures, excavation support systems, and adjacent construction.
- Analyses related to soil settlement, slope stability, soil dynamics, and groundwater flow and seepage.
- Evaluations of earthen embankments/dams/reservoirs, tunnels, and asphalt and concrete pavements.
- Analyses and forensic evaluations of failed or deteriorated structures.
- Supporting construction operations for contractors, including new construction, rehabilitation, strengthening, and repair.
- Analyzing claims in design-build projects.
- Collaborate with SGH’s Marine, Flood, Engineering Mechanics, Structural, and Building Technology groups on slope and shoreline stabilization, retaining wall systems, footing drainage systems, sub-slab dewatering systems, floodproofing, plaza drainage systems, and many other exciting projects.
- Organize field data and assist with research to facilitate analysis, problem solving, and repair design.
- Perform analysis under the guidance of licensed professionals using a combination of hand calculations and analysis software.
- Assist with preparing client deliverables, including construction documents, specifications, and written reports.
What You’ll Need:
- Currently enrolled and plan to complete a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Interest in geotechnical engineering.
- High grades in their studies.
- Interest in learning through hands-on work experience in a consulting engineering environment.
- Enthusiastic about the challenges associated with the development of sophisticated engineering work product in an atmosphere of high professionalism.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
What makes careers at SGH so special?The only way to advance is to question and explore. Every member of the SGH team is both a learner and an educator, committed to advancing ourselves, our teams, and our industry. Together we are creating a community that never settles for what is, but always seeks what could be.There are many reasons to love SGH.
- Our Work: Our clients trust us to bring clarity and deliver outstanding solutions for their most complex projects.
- Our People: We are bold thinkers and compassionate teammates, committed to lifelong learning and professional growth.
- Our Commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back to our professions and communities.
- Our Contribution: We offer a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email [email protected].