Do you want to help engineer what’s next? Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is a national engineering firm committed to delivering holistic advice for our clients’ most complex challenges. We leverage our collective and diverse experience, technical expertise, and industry knowledge of structures and building enclosures, advanced analysis, code consulting, and applied science & research to deliver unrivaled, comprehensive solutions that drive superior performance. With more than 600 employees in eight office locations throughout the United States, SGH’s industry-leading teams constantly seek to advance the meaning of what’s possible. The Position: This Director position will be part of our team providing a wide array of materials-related support related to construction materials. These services include investigation and analysis of poorly performing materials, selection of appropriate materials, evaluation of new materials, and investigation of materials-related deterioration. Typical project work (depending on the particular knowledge and experience of the individual) includes:
- Investigation of performance of cementitious, mineral-based, polymeric, metallic, or similar construction-related materials.
- Supporting staff in the selection and evaluation of materials for use in project specifications.
- Investigation and evaluation of flooring material failures, including design of repairs.
- Analysis of paints, sealants and coatings in cooperation with chemists, petrographers, metallurgists, and materials scientists.
- Planning and conducting field investigations of construction-related materials such as drywall, mortars, sealants, coatings, repair materials, cements, and sealers.
- Testing of materials in the laboratory or field in support of new product development or selection.
- Development and analysis of concrete mixtures, including admixtures, alternative cementitious materials, and placement.
- Analysis, testing, and selection of polymeric materials such as epoxies, urethanes, silanes.
Job Responsibilities: The Director position responsibilities will be generally consistent with ASCE Grade VI and will include:
- Preparing proposals, including scopes, objectives, budgets, and personnel requirements.
- Planning and executing work on large and complex projects in consultation with Principal.
- Conducting assignments defined in terms of the nature of the expected results, requiring minimal guidance on the approach to solving unusual problems. Planning and developing engineering projects concerned with unique or controversial problems.
- Managing challenging major projects or multiple projects independently with only final approvals of technical work by the Principal in Charge with responsibility for all pertinent supervisory work, evaluating results, and preparing reports with minimal assistance.
- Mentoring one or more staff, delegating tasks using a coaching relationship for supervising the technical work of project staff and supporting their ongoing development and growth.
- Leveraging staff by creating assignments that offer growth opportunities.
- Responsibility for direct client contact and relationship management, including pursuit of identified clients and new clients.
- Representing SGH in project related and professional meetings and conferences as a competent substitute for the Principal In Charge and on behalf of SGH.
- Actively leading internal technical training and improvement for staff.
- Supporting the work of others at SGH in your area of expertise and contributing to their success.
- Writing significantly complex letters, major formal reports, letter reports, specifications, and proposals with minimal supervisor guidance. Reviewing work of these types by others
- Leading technical and/or project discussions with clients and external project teams.
- Assisting Principals to win repeat work from existing clients through effective service and minding of clients’ needs.
- Participating in the SGH shareholder program to extent consistent with position.
What You’ll Need:
- 15+ years of relevant engineering experience and expertise in relevant field.
- Professional accreditation or licensure-equivalent in field of knowledge.
- MS or PhD in field of knowledge, such as Chemistry, Materials Science, or Civil or Architectural Engineering from an ABET- or ACS-accredited university.
- Demonstrated excellent technical and professional capabilities and demonstrated potential for achieving diversity in capabilities.
- Excellent technical reputation within your area of expertise.
- Demonstrated record of independently managing and directing challenging major projects.
- Experience with chemical analyses (FTIR, XRD, DSC, gas chromatography) petrography, or related testing (or sufficient level of familiarity to direct and review such work by others).
- Demonstrated ability to leverage yourself and manage monthly volume of $100k or annual volume of $500k, including multiple staff.
- Prominent involvement within academia or an industry organization such as the AMPP, ASCE, ICRI, ACI, AISC, or other active organization, including working on committees, making presentations, authoring articles, or other active participation.
- High ethical standards and honesty; able and willing to represent SGH well.
- Ability to work well with others within and across disciplines, including resolving differences of opinion and conflict in an appropriate and tactful manner.
- High level of oral communication skills, with polished presentations and effective communication.
- Commitment to assignments, co-workers, high quality, and safety standards.
- Demonstrated business acumen and sound business judgment.
- Ability to integrate the work of several technical experts into an effective solution.
- Expertise in computer analysis software (e.g., SAFE, RAM, etc.)
- Willingness to travel to out-of-state project sites on occasion and ability to travel to remote job sites not accessible by public transportation.
- Valid driver’s license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
What makes careers at SGH so special? The only way to advance is to question and explore. Every member of the SGH team is both a learner and an educator, committed to advancing ourselves, our teams, and our industry. Together we are creating a community that never settles for what is, but always seeks what could be. There are many reasons to love SGH.
- Our Work: Our clients trust us to bring clarity and deliver outstanding solutions for their most complex projects.
- Our People: We are bold thinkers and compassionate teammates, committed to lifelong learning and professional growth.
- Our Commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back to our professions and communities.
- Our Contribution: We offer a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email [email protected].