Do you want to help engineer what’s next? Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is a national engineering firm committed to delivering holistic advice for our clients’ most complex challenges. We leverage our collective and diverse experience, technical expertise, and industry knowledge to deliver unrivaled, comprehensive solutions that drive superior performance. With more than 600 employees in eight office locations throughout the United States, SGH’s industry-leading teams constantly seek to advance the meaning of what’s possible.We want someone passionate about engineering mechanics and problem-solvingOur EMI team at SGH is always looking for great talent, especially people who enjoy solving difficult problems creatively. Engineering Mechanics and Infrastructure (EMI) applies engineering mechanics, materials science, numerical simulation, innovative technologies, and collective expertise to solve our clients’ toughest problems in an inspiring work environment that nurtures life-long learning and growth. We are looking for a bridge engineer to assist in the investigation, repair, and design of bridges, retaining walls, and other highway structures. In addition, a successful candidate may work on projects related to buildings, pipelines, nuclear facilities, tanks, rail vehicles, rotating equipment, precision observatory structures, and other non-building structures and systems.SGH works on challenging projects for owners, contractors, and other engineering firms on a wide spectrum of projects.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Design, investigate, and repair of highway bridges and structures.
- Perform structural analysis and prepare detailed design calculations, engineering drawings, specifications, and technical reports.
- Actively participate in industry organizations, serve on technical committees, and author papers while developing industry recognition.
- Conduct on-site inspection/investigation, including field testing and condition documentation.
What You’ll Need:
- Advanced degree (Master's or Doctorate) in structural engineering.
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer (and Structural Engineer where available).
- 3+ years of experience in the structural design of bridges and other highway structures (sign structures, retaining walls, tunnels)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact professionally with technical staff and clients.
- Proficiency in use of AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specification and/or one or more state DOT design standards and current state of practice.
- Experience working with State or County Departments of Transportation.
- Experience in construction means and methods for bridge structures is beneficial.
- Proficiency in use of AREMA Manual for Railway Engineering is beneficial.
- Ability to work independently or in large multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with high levels of motivation, initiative and energy.
- Professional society participation and technical curiosity is beneficial..
- Ability to work in the field.
- Able to have regular in-office presence in Boston/Waltham or Washington DC.
What makes careers at SGH so special?The only way to advance is to question and explore. Every member of the SGH team is both a learner and an educator, committed to advancing ourselves, our teams, and our industry. Together we are creating a community that never settles for what is, but always seeks what could be.There are many reasons to love SGH.
- Our Work: Our clients trust us to bring clarity and deliver outstanding solutions for their most complex projects.
- Our People: We are bold thinkers and compassionate teammates, committed to lifelong learning and professional growth.
- Our Commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back to our professions and communities.
- Our Contribution: We offer a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email [email protected].