If you’re looking for a place to kick-start your career, where you can contribute to a dynamic employee-owned firm, tackle challenging project work, and collaborate with industry recognized professionals - Geosyntec is the place for you! As a Geotechnical Field Engineer in San Diego, Huntington Beach, Los Angeles, California or Phoenix, Arizona you will have the opportunity to apply your academic knowledge and field experience to construction observation, construction quality assurance (CQA) and construction quality control (CQC) monitoring related to dam and levee; environmental remediation; and landfill projects; while learning the skills needed for a successful career in engineering. The role requires the ability to comprehend construction plans and specifications, proficient understanding of geotechnical laboratory testing, experience overseeing earthwork construction, and a willingness to perform fieldwork and travel for extended periods of time, including overnights and weekends; and a strong willingness to work outdoors with interest in building a career in the geotechnical and environmental consulting field.Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR as #53 among the Top 500 Design Firms, and with multiple Top 20 ENR rankings in specialty areas, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.comESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESIs this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for the position include:
- Monitor activities on job sites to assure compliance with relevant contract documents (e.g. technical specifications, construction drawings, sampling plans, quality assurance plans etc.);
- Perform field and on-site laboratory tests on soil, geosynthetics, aggregates, and other materials primarily associated with dam and levee, environmental remediation and landfill and/or waste containment system construction;
- Prepare daily and weekly field reports, construction schedules & progress reports;
- Interact with project personnel (contractors, project managers, engineers & clients) and assist in cultivating an integrated team approach through open lines of communications and participation in work progress meetings;
- Assist in the preparation of the final reports, work plans, health and safety documents, and the assembly of report appendices;
- Observe and abide by the policies and procedures outlined in the site-specific project health and safety plans and the company’s Environmental Health and Safety Management policies and procedures; and
- Perform tasks in other company practice areas including general construction services, environmental sampling, or contractor oversight, as needed.
Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture.Here are some other things you should know about this position:
- Training: This position requires OSHA health and safety, first aid, and CPR training and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Fieldwork: Up to 100%
- Overnight travel: Up to 100%
Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor's degree in civil and/or environmental engineering. (required)
- Advanced degree in geotechnical engineering. (preferred)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 5 years of applicable experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. (required)
- Technical experience in construction services, geotechnical, environmental, or related engineering disciplines. (required)
- Experience reading and interpreting construction drawings, including survey and topographical drawings. (required)
- Experience ensuring field activities comply with construction plans and specifications and the ability to monitor several different types of activities simultaneously. (required)
- Experience with the operation of monitoring and data collection equipment, including but not limited laptop and handheld computers, Troxler moisture /density gauges, scales, Elkins or GEM, and other equipment. (preferred)
- Experience with multi-media sampling including soil, water, and air (preferred).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word software programs. (required)
- Strong mathematical background with the ability to perform calculations in basic geometry and use of algebra. (required)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, be self-motivated and possess a strong work ethic. (required)
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move up to 49 pounds unaided and 50-100 pounds with assistance and/or proper engineering controls. (required)
- Ability to speak and hear, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. (required)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
CULTURE/EEO STATEMENTGeosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefitsEqual Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer including minorities, females, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, and gender identity.