Your role at GEI.GEI Consultants is currently seeking a motivated Sr Structural Engineer for our Chicago regional office. The successful candidate will work on structural engineering tasks, including building adaptive reuse design, geotechnical and civil works projects located in the Chicago metropolitan area and throughout the US. The candidate will have an opportunity to grow professionally with a GEI team of mentors and motivated peers. Additionally, the candidate will use Autodesk Products, structural computer programs and Microsoft Office products to prepare construction documents and engineering reports as a member of a multi-disciplinary design team.Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Assist GEI structural and geotechnical engineers with structural design and analysis tasks across our core disciplines, including building and smaller bridge structural design, concrete dam spillway and gate analysis, existing structure analysis, foundation design, construction shoring and retaining wall design,
- Understanding of applicable building codes and design standards used in the industry,
- Ability to perform field assessments of existing structures, including occasional use of safety harness on high lifts and other personal protection equipment (after training),
- Prepare technical reports of engineering findings and test results,
- Assist in preparation of construction drawings and specifications, construction cost estimating, design implementation and report preparation,
- Preparing project scopes and proposals,
- Meeting project objectives, schedules and budgets,
- Perform site inspections of construction projects to verify conformance with design documents, and
- Other duties as assigned.
- M.S. in Structural or Geotechnical Engineering or B.S. with proven experience.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including technical report writing.
- 6-12 years of experience working in structural engineering.
- Experience using/supporting Autodesk products, including Revit, AutoCAD, Civil3D and/or Navisworks.
- Ability to learn and follow company drawings standards.
- Registered IL SE license or professional engineer with the ability to obtain SE licensure.
- Possess a current driver’s license.
- Project related business travel, less than 20%.
- Ability to manage small to large projects in all phases of engineering design including field investigations, preliminary designs, regulatory approvals, final design, development of contract documents and construction administration.
- Structural design experience with steel, wood and concrete as well as geotechnical lateral earth pressure design for bulkheads, retaining walls, coffer dams and construction shoring.
- Experience in structural repairs and upgrades to existing structures.
- Experience working in a team setting with engineers and scientists to advise clients in implementing their projects.
- Experience in BIM/Revit and integrated project delivery a plus.
We are GEI.Some of the world’s most pressing problems – from climate change to sustainable development, to critical infrastructure and the future of our energy supply – need our brightest and diverse minds working together to create safer, more resilient communities for tomorrow. We are technical experts, collaborators, and entrepreneurs who draw from diverse backgrounds to solve our clients’ most complex challenges. With more than 40 offices across North America, we offer a range of engineering, science, and technical consulting services. Our range of expertise, project types, and culture make us the choice for top talent in the AEC industry.Employee-owned. Employee-focused.As a 100% employee-owned company, our employees support our flat leadership structure, have a say in how our business operates and benefit from our financial success. We are committed to employee growth with career development opportunities, competitive total rewards, a well-being program, flexible work arrangements and more. Our company culture is driven by our 4 Cs – we are Client-Centered, Curious, Collaborative, and Community Minded – which support our focus on sustainability, safety, diversity, equity and inclusion. Get to know us better by visiting GEI’s career site here.GEI’s Total Rewards Package
- Market-Competitive Compensation, including Eligibility for an Annual Performance Bonus
- Comprehensive Benefits Program, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability and More
- Well-Being Program and Paid Parental Leave
- Commuter Benefits
- Hybrid Work Schedules and Home Office and Cell Phone Stipends
- GEI University (GEIU) with Continuing Education Assistance and Tuition Reimbursement
- Connecting Conversation Program with a Focus on Professional Development and Opportunities for Advancement
- Support and Financial Rewards for Publication Awards, Professional Dues, and Professional Licenses
- Paid Holidays and Generous Paid Time Off Program
- Rewards and Recognition
- GEI-Funded Profit Sharing and 401(k)
- Opportunity to be an Owner and Shareholder (Learn more here)
- A Vibrant Culture that is Focused on Partnership, Sustainability, Giving Back to Our Communities and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- And More…