Are you a highly motivated structural design engineer seeking a career opportunity where your talents are valued and encouraged to grow? Are you an outdoor enthusiast that wants to explore some of the country’s best natural wonders? Join our Juneau, Alaska, office in a dynamic, multifaceted position working on a wide variety of challenging structural engineering design and construction projects. Working with a variety of both public and private clients you will be able to refine your skill set on building structures, retaining walls, and marine structural projects from scoping to concept design, production of construction documents, and field inspection work. You will gain confidence in handling increasingly complex tasks with decreasing oversight. Position requires occasional travel in support of projects throughout Alaska. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to visit Juneau before accepting an offer. Relocation and 3–6 months housing assistance available. Essential Duties:
- Determine structural loads, perform structural calculations, analysis and design of buildings, bridges, and waterfront structures such as:
- Low rise 2-4 story wood, steel and concrete structures and foundations
- Bridges (vehicle and pedestrian), gangways and trestles
- Marine Terminals, Harbors/Marinas, Mooring and Berthing structures
- Piers, Wharves and Bulkheads
- Assist in the development of construction drawings in AutoCAD and Revit.
- Inspect and perform condition assessments of existing structures and develop timely, well written technical engineering reports describing the methods of investigation, observations, and recommendations.
- Inspect and perform special inspection of construction projects and develop timely, well written technical engineering reports.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and technicians to perform work in related fields such as site-civil design, surveying, environmental engineering, and permitting.
- B.S. degree in Civil Engineering with Structural emphasis from an ABET-accredited engineering school.
- 3+ years of experience. Those with more experience are welcome to apply.
- Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (F.E.) exam, or ability to do so within 6 months of hire
- Team player with ability to learn how to prioritize work on multiple projects to meet project schedules.
- Strong communication skills - technical writing and oral communication skills necessary to communicate with clients, coworkers, and contractors.
- Willingness to travel away from home for a few days to a few weeks at a time using commercial airlines, smaller airplanes, helicopters, or boats. Travel expectation is approximately 10-20%.
- Valid U.S. driver's license, good driving record, and vehicle insurance.
- M.S. degree preferred, P.E. or S.E. licensure encouraged to apply.
- Experience with structural analysis software (RISA 3D, Ram Structural Systems, etc.) and AutoCAD/Revit. Experience with these software programs is a plus.
- Completed college coursework should include statics, dynamics, and mechanics of materials, determinate and indeterminate structural analysis, foundation design, steel design, concrete design, and preferably timber design and technical writing.
- Knowledge of structural loads and building load paths. Experience with the IBC, ASCE-7, AASHTO, UFC and other relevant design codes/standards is a plus.
PND Engineers is an Alaska-based, full-service engineering firm with offices in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, and Texas. PND provides civil, structural, geotechnical, coastal and marine engineering, hydrology and hydraulics, construction engineering, value engineering, survey, environmental, permitting, inspection and quality assurance, and research and development services to all sectors, including local, state and federal governments, and private-sector clients. PND’s Juneau office is conveniently located near the airport, housing, and recreational opportunities. Potential cash compensation $80K to $130K annual (DOE), which includes variable pay (time and a half for overtime and discretionary bonus). PND offers a competitive benefits package including comprehensive health (medical, dental, and vision) plans, life and disability insurance, and an exceptional, industry-leading 401(k) profit sharing retirement plan. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled