If you’re looking for a place to kick-start your career, where you can contribute to a dynamic employee-owned firm, tackle challenging project work, and collaborate with industry-recognized professionals - Geosyntec is the place for you! We are looking for a Staff Geotechnical Engineer to join our Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering practice in one of our key Western Region offices: San Diego, CA; Costa Mesa, CA; or Los Angeles CA. You will have the opportunity to apply your academic knowledge to real-world situations on projects involving site characterization; landfill design and construction; earth retaining structures; deep and soft/weak foundations; dams and water containment structures; forensic investigations and litigation support; geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring; numerical analysis of stability and deformation; and geohazard/earthquake characterization/mitigation, while learning the business skills needed for a successful consulting career. Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR as #53 among the Top 500 Design Firms, and with multiple Top 20 ENR rankings in specialty areas, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.comESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESIs this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for the position include:
- Conducting geotechnical field investigations;
- Monitoring heavy civil construction projects;
- Performing and reviewing engineering calculations, such as slope stability, settlement, the capacity of shallow and deep foundations, excavation support and lateral earth pressures, and seepage;
- Earthquake engineering;
- Developing, installing, and managing instrumentation monitoring systems;
- Field work associated with design and construction services;
- Landfill design and permitting;
- Dam and levee evaluations;
- Data analysis, including preparing maps, tables, and figures;
- Developing construction documents, including drawings, specifications, and cost estimates; and
- Preparation of technical reports, letters, memoranda, and proposals.
Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture.Here are some other things you should know about this position:
- Training: This position requires OSHA health and safety, first aid, CPR training, and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Fieldwork: Up to 50%
- Overnight travel: Up to 30%
Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor's degree in civil and/or environmental engineering or geology. (required)
- Advanced degree in geotechnical engineering. (preferred)
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certification. (preferred)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Prior internship or work experience in engineering consulting. (preferred)
- Experience with geotechnical engineering software (e.g., SLIDE, GEOSTUDIO, PLAXIS, FLAC, LPILE, gINT, etc.) and/or numerical methods using spreadsheets. (preferred)
- Strong fundamentals in geotechnical engineering theory and practice. (required)
- Excellent writing and communication skills. (required)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and related software; AutoCAD and/or GIS. (preferred)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
CULTURE/EEO STATEMENTGeosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus a passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefitsThe Geosyntec family of companies is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
The EEOC Know Your Rights and Pay Transparency policies are available here:Geosyntec is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call (561) 995-0900 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.