Looking for a place to start your career? A place where you can work with industry recognized professionals who are solving tough engineering problems? Geosyntec is the place for you! As an Intern Geotechnical Engineering in our Houston, Texas office, you will have the opportunity to apply your civil and geotechnical engineering academic knowledge to real-world situations while also learning the business skills needed for a successful consulting career. We are seeking a full-time (40 hours/week) graduate intern for approximately 13 to 15 weeks during the summer of 2021. Preferred candidates would have the ability to return to the position for additional semester rotations during their graduate studies. Candidates are responsible for coordinating their own transportation to and from the office.Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Ranked by ENR in the top 20 design firms for the environment, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.comESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESIs this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? Some of the key responsibilities for the position may include:
- Performing and reviewing engineering calculations, such as slope stability, settlement, bearing capacity, and seepage;
- Developing, installing, and managing instrumentation monitoring systems;
- Conducting geotechnical field investigations;
- Fieldwork associated with design and construction services;
- Data analysis, including preparing maps, tables, and figures;
- Developing construction documents, including drawings and specifications; and
- Preparation of technical reports, letters, and memoranda.
Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture.Here are some other things you should know about this position:
- Training: This position requires OSHA health and safety, first aid, and CPR training and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities including in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Fieldwork: Up to 50%
- Overnight travel: Up to 50%
Your success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering. (required)
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s or Ph.D. program in geotechnical engineering. (required)
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certification, if applicable. (preferred)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong fundamentals in geotechnical engineering theory and practice. (required)
- Excellent writing and communication skills. (required)
- Experience with geotechnical engineering software (e.g., SLIDE, PLAXIS, gINT, AutoCAD, etc.) and/or numerical methods using spreadsheets. (preferred)
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and related software (required); AutoCAD and/or GIS. (preferred)
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
CULTURE/EEO STATEMENTGeosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefitsEqual Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer including minorities, females, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, and gender identity.