Geosyntec is seeking an exceptional Senior Geotechnical Engineer to assist in growing our geotechnical engineering and dam engineering practices in Canada, to be based in one of our offices in Waterloo, Ottawa, Guelph, or Toronto, Ontario. The ideal candidate will have at least 8 years of experience, a background in geotechnical engineering with a focus in dam engineering within the Canadian marketplace (particularly in the Province of Ontario.) Relevant experience in British Columbia is an advantage), and the ability to assist in building and leading a practice.Are you looking for a new home for the best years of your career? A place where you can contribute to a dynamic employee-owned firm, tackle challenging project work, and collaborate with industry-recognized professionals? Geosyntec is the place for you! Our clients ask us to address their new ventures and most challenging problems involving the environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure. Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and exceptional client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Is this the right position to help you achieve your professional goals? We expect that you’d work on a variety of challenging technical projects while leveraging your existing knowledge and experience to help Geosyntec expand its current practices and capabilities through business development and client management. Collaboration and mentoring are cornerstones of Geosyntec’s culture. You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will help integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture as you advance to this next stage of your career. Some of the task-level or project management responsibilities you will be asked to do include:
- Designing, managing and performing geotechnical, geoenvironmental, civil, mining, and/or geological engineering field investigations including drilling, instrumentation, and construction quality assurance;
- Working with numerical modeling software programs for stability, seepage and settlement/deformation analysis;
- Preparing and coordinating the integration of design calculations, drawings, technical specifications, construction cost estimates, reports, and permit applications;
- Managing projects successfully to achieve goals for technical excellence, budget control, schedule compliance, quality, client satisfaction, and profitability;
- Reviewing and managing written document production;
- Business development; including bringing in new clients and obtaining repeat business from existing clients, leading proposal preparation, and developing and implementing a business development plan; and Staff management and mentoring.
Here are some other things you should know about this position:
- Training: this position may require specific health and safety training which will be paid for by the firm. Additional required training may include OSHA/MSHA, first aid, and CPR training and medical monitoring, also paid.
- We also offer professional development opportunities including technical conferences, in-house seminars, webinars, and mentoring, that allow our professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become successful consultants.
- Overnight travel: Up to 20% of time Your success is our success.
We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and skills. Advancement is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- Bachelor's degree in Geotechnical/Geological/Civil Engineering. (required)
- Advanced degree in the same fields. (preferred)
- Professional registration in Ontario (i.e., P.E.). (required)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 8 years of directly relevant experience performing geotechnical consulting work related to dam engineering, tunnel engineering and other related infrastructure, with at least 5 of those years in the Canadian consulting marketplace; or equivalent combination of education and experience. (required)
- Detailed understanding of National and Ontario Building Codes and Regulations including the Canadian Dam Association guidelines. (required)
- Familiarity with concepts of seismic design and liquefaction analysis. (required)
- Experience in the Province of British Columbia and Licensed in BC. (preferred)
- Understanding of the Codes/Regulations in BC. (preferred)
- Experience with multi-disciplinary project teams. (required)
- Working experience with numerical modeling and design software packages. (required)
- Demonstrated success in the development and management of clients. (required)
- Excellent leadership skills. (required)
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced consulting environment, handling multiple project assignments, meeting strict deadlines, and traveling to client facilities as needed. (required) Current OSHA 40-hr HAZWOPER training and refreshers. (preferred)
- Valid Canadian driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record for business travel. (required)
CULTURE/EEO STATEMENTGeosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing firm.Geosyntec is a great place to build a career. If you're looking for an exciting place to work, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success, then Geosyntec may be the place for you. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/.Geosyntec offers excellent compensation packages commensurate with experience, along with a comprehensive employee benefits package.REQ NO: SENIO02515