Location: Seattle, WA
Level: Senior 1
Date Posted: September 5, 2023Aspect Consulting (Aspect), an earth science and engineering consulting firm, is seeking an experienced Geotechnical Engineer to join our growing Geotechnical and Infrastructure Practice. Aspect’s geotechnical engineers tackle challenges on a variety of complex projects all over the northwest ranging from bridge replacements, landslide stabilization, transportation and roadway design, water and wastewater conveyance, reservoirs and dams, mid- and high-rise buildings, development within and near steep-slope sensitive areas, and floodplain and natural habitat restoration. Senior Geotechnical Engineers at Aspect regularly interface directly with clients, execute work through the full project lifecycle from proposals to construction, guide innovative geotechnical designs, work alongside other highly experienced engineers, geologists, and other consultants, strategically pursue new work and opportunities, and mentor junior staff helping them navigate to early career success. This is a long-term, career track position with the ultimate goal to grow one’s consulting practice through effective project delivery and client development.Our geotechnical engineers are supported by a diverse and talented group of engineering geologists, hydrogeologists, water resource engineers, CAD/GIS professionals, and technical editors; conversely, our geotechnical engineers also support dynamic projects within Aspect’s environmental and water resource practices. See our Case Studies for a sampling of project types.
- Work directly and closely with Aspect geotechnical engineers and engineering geologists to support a wide variety of clients and technically challenging projects.
- Strategically pursue new clients and opportunities including preparation of proposals and budgets.
- Oversee and perform geotechnical engineering analyses and calculations including slope stability analyses, seismic evaluations, shallow and deep foundation design, ground improvement design, excavation and shoring evaluations, and other challenging technical evaluations as well as review work by others.
- Prepare and direct the development of written geotechnical reports while working with dedicated editing, data, and mapping teams to create high-end and cutting-edge deliverables.
- Effectively manage project schedules, scopes of work and financial aspects like profitability and invoicing.
- Lead, mentor, and/or supervise junior staff.
- Collaborate with and lead multi-disciplinary project teams extending outside of Aspect, including clients, architects, engineers, and contractors, to share project information, objectives, and geotechnical engineering recommendations.
- Develop, coordinate, and oversee construction oversight programs to ensure the successful completion of projects.
- Participate in ongoing education and training opportunities in geotechnical engineering, project and people management, and consulting.
Due to the size of Aspect’s geotechnical group and geographic reach, our geotechnical engineers experience an abundance of variety in their work, strong mentorship and collaboration, excellent project team support, and readily available avenues to expanded responsibility and career growth.A strong candidate exhibits the characteristics of a successful engineering consultant with demonstrated growth and career advancement. These characteristics include a ‘can do’ mentality, leadership skills, a focus on client service, proactiveness, self-motivation, a strong grasp of project management, sharp technical acumen, an eye for detail, good organization skills, clear and effective writing, and excellent communication skills.
- A degree in civil or geological engineering from an ABET-accredited college or university with geotechnical engineering coursework
- Professional Engineer’s License in the State of Washington or ability to obtain it within 6 months of starting
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant geotechnical engineering experience
- A minimum of 3 years of project management experience
- Clear and professional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel long distances and accommodate occasional overnight travel (travel is most often within Washington and northern Oregon)
Aspect’s interactive team of 130+ professionals work across seven offices in Washington and Oregon. Our casual, collaborative, and professional environment gives you the flexibility to work remotely as your role allows. Roles do require being in the office and at client sites when needed to complete their work successfully. Staff should be able to get to their assigned office within a reasonable commute time.
Active, Engaged, Growing. Aspect Consulting is the home of regionally focused earth+water specialists in geotechnical engineering, hydrogeology, geology, environmental remediation, and stormwater. A diverse blend of public and private projects ranging in technical complexity provides you with a balance between applied problem-solving, technical analysis, and design. For ambitious entry-level and seasoned practice builders alike, Aspect offers a supportive, collaborative workplace designed to help you thrive and grow professionally.
Compensation and Benefits:
Aspect is proud to offer a generous compensation and benefits package and incentive compensation system to reward the collective team and recognize individual contributors.Compensation is determined by several factors, including, but not limited to, education, experience, performance, and licensure. The compensation range for this role is as follows:
- Senior 1: $112,000 – $117,000
We offer fully paid employee Medical, Dental, Vision, Short- and Long-Term Disability, and Life Insurance. Medical, Dental, and Vision for dependents are 50% paid. Based on plan requirements, employees can participate in a Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Parking Reimbursement. Eligible employees can contribute to our 401k. All benefits are based on eligibility and benefit plan design.Aspect employees enjoy 9 to 10 paid holidays per year, a minimum of 10 vacation days per year (based on years of industry experience), and sick time accrued on hours worked (approximately eight days a year). Additional benefits include a cell phone stipend ($90/month), home office equipment reimbursement (up to $300/year), public transportation commute reimbursement (75%), and mileage reimbursement for business travel.Aspect also offers several discretionary bonus opportunities based on individual performance and firm success available to all eligible employees.Aspect Consulting is an equal-opportunity employer. Our Racial, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (REDI) team works actively to identify and work towards collective Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity goals.