Schnabel is an employee-owned, professional engineering and consulting firm that focuses on solving problems related to the earth and environment through specialization in geotechnical, geostructural, tunnel, and dam engineering. Schnabel’s high standards for quality, business ethics, and concern for the communities in which we live are a vital part of who we are. Schnabel is an ENR Top 500 Design Firm with 450+ employees in 25 offices throughout the United States.Recognized by CE News as one of the Best Engineering Firms to Work for, Schnabel provides employees with a competitive benefits package including maternity leave, tuition reimbursement for continuing education, health, dental, life and disability insurance and a wellness program. As an employee-owned company, through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan, Schnabel employees directly benefit from the success of our growing firm. Job Description:Our Albany, NY area office (Clifton Park) is seeking a senior/supervising geotechnical engineer to help support our growing Geotechnical and Water practices throughout New York State and the greater Northeast region. In this role, you will provide leadership, management, and technical support for a variety of multidisciplinary projects that involve dams and reservoirs, flood resiliency, heavy-civil works, and other general infrastructure across the Northeast region and nationally. As an employee-owner, you will have a say in how our business operates and you will directly benefit from our financial success.Please provide a cover letter to be considered.Job Responsibilities:Candidate will serve as a Supervising Geotechnical Engineer. Major focus areas for the role include:
- Manage, execute, and provide technical support, in a team setting and on a variety of challenging geotechnical and interdisciplinary infrastructure projects.
- Responsibilities may include managing and preparing for geotechnical and geologic field investigations, reviewing field investigation boring logs, evaluating instrumentation and monitoring data, assigning project-specific soil and rock laboratory testing, conducting engineering analyses and design specific to soil and rock mechanics, foundation design, fill placement/ground modification, seepage evaluations, slope stability analyses, and seismic analyses, as well as performing value engineering (VE) and forensic studies.
- Preparation and review of geotechnical engineering reports, technical documents, and presentations, for a variety of applications, projects, and clients.
- Communicate with clients and regulators, establish goals and objectives for project teams, and schedule and coordinate resources, to deliver projects on time, within budget, and to the quality expectations of the client.
- Serve as a direct supervisor – Oversee, develop, and mentor geotechnical engineering staff.
- Participate in the development of a cohesive, positive culture for our Albany, NY area office and company-wide to cultivate a best-in-class environment that allows our people to realize their full potential.
- Contribute to maintaining and developing Schnabel’s strong brand in the geotechnical and water markets through thought leadership embodied in published papers, white papers, and participation at recognized conferences and workshops.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Geotechnical and/or Civil Engineering, or related fields.
- 8+ years of experience in the geotechnical engineering field.
- Licensed Professional Engineer or ability to become registered within 6 months.
- Extensive geotechnical background, including a strong fundamental knowledge of principles of geotechnical and geostructural engineering, soil and rock mechanics, earthquake engineering, and groundwater hydrology.
- Relevant geotechnical expertise with dams and water impounding structures, cofferdams, and other hydraulic structures, including but not limited to seepage, static and seismic stability analysis, liquefaction analysis, deformation analysis, and foundation and settlement analysis.
- Strong technical background using various geotechnical and computer-aided design software, such as Geostudio, Rocscience, gINT, CWALSHT, PYWall, LPILE, GROUP, and AutoCAD/Civil 3D. Numerical modeling using programs such as PLAXIS and FLAC are a plus.
- Organized, self-starter with a strong entrepreneurial and team spirit.
- Excellent English technical verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to occasionally travel to project sites, both local and remote, and be able to lift heavy loads (up to 25 pounds).
- Ability to pass a background check which may include criminal history, motor vehicle record and credit check
- Ability to pass a pre-employment screening
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)