Schnabel is an employee-owned, professional engineering and consulting firm that focuses on solving problems related to the earth and environment through specialization in dam, geotechnical, geostructural, and tunnel engineering. Schnabel’s high standards for quality, business ethics, and concern for the communities in which we live and work are a vital part of who we are. Schnabel is an ENR Top 500 Design Firm with 500+ employees in 25 offices throughout the United States.Recognized by CE News as one of the Best Engineering Firms to Work for, Schnabel provides employees with a competitive benefits package including maternity leave, tuition reimbursement for continuing education, health, dental, life and disability insurance and a wellness program. As an employee-owned company, through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan, Schnabel employees directly benefit from the success of our growing firm.Job Description:Are you looking for interesting and meaningful work, a fun atmosphere, and opportunities to learn, grow, and excel? If so, then welcome to Schnabel! We approach problems with creativity and innovation. Our Boise, Idaho, office is seeking a geotechnical / dam safety engineer to support our engineering group. We are looking for a motivated candidate with attention to detail, a passion to continue to develop as a professional, and a desire to be part of a strong multi-disciplinary team. The Boise office of Schnabel focuses on the evaluation and design of dams, structures, and facilities within our dams engineering group. Example projects include inspection, evaluation, and design of dams and spillways; dam safety risk assessments; and design of fish hatcheries, surface water intakes, pump stations, outlet works, pipelines, and fabricated gates and valves for projects located across the United States.Job Responsibilities:
- Analyze and design components related to dams and water infrastructure;
- Slope stability and seepage analyses;
- Filter compatibility analyses and evaluation of internal erosion;
- Analysis of settlement and lateral earth pressures;
- Analysis of liquefaction and seismic performance of embankment dams;
- Preparation of reports, plans, and specifications;
- Assist with risk assessments for dams and hydraulic structures;
- Develop engineering recommendations and write technical reports;
- Scope and performing geotechnical explorations and laboratory testing programs;
- Perform inspections of dams and hydraulic structures and collect data and measurements in the field;
- Assist in the preparation of complete engineering plans and specifications to be part of construction documents;
- Perform construction inspection with opportunities for longer-term field assignments;
- Assist project managers with project coordination and administrative tasks;
- Work as a team member within the Boise office and across other Schnabel offices to effectively balance workload among available resources.
- A Bachelor's degree focused in civil engineering, from an ABET-accredited institution.
- 3-7 years of design- and/or construction-oriented consulting engineering experience.
- PE licensure, or EIT certification with future ability to become a Licensed Professional Engineer.
- Ability to lift 60 pounds and be physically able to negotiate construction sites, enter trenches, climb ladders, and work outside.
- Willingness and ability to perform field work and travel. There is an opportunity for field inspection assignments associated with this opening for candidates with relevant qualifications.
- Experience and interest with the following types of projects:
- Embankment and concrete dams
- Hydropower plants
- Fish hatcheries
- Geotechnical instrumentation
- Dam safety risk assessments
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Have a positive attitude and work well in a team environment.
- A strong work ethic and the desire to perform professionally at a high level.
- Master's Degree in civil or geotechnical engineering.
- Experience with the latest version of AutoCAD & AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Ability to pass a background check which may include criminal history, motor vehicle record, credit check.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment drug screening
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)