DescriptionYour Role at GEI.GEI Consultants is seeking a highly motivated geotechnical intern that will support the geotechnical and materials testing and inspection teams in various aspects (field work, lab work, reporting, etc.) during their summer co-op term. The successful candidate will gain exposure to and mentorship from leading technical experts in geotechnical engineering and materials testing and inspection works.Positions are available for GEI’s Barrie, Markham or Guelph offices. In your application, please indicate which office(s) you would be available to work in. The selected individual may be required to be available to travel to the office daily throughout the co-op term.Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Conduct field work to support materials testing and inspection projects, including compaction testing, concrete sampling/testing, subgrade reviews, etc.
- Perform geotechnical engineering tasks such as drill rig supervision, surveying, soil and groundwater sampling, well monitoring and in-situ testing.
- Prepare detailed notes and take photographs to document the procedures used and observations made during field work and/or construction monitoring.
- Perform laboratory testing such as moisture contents, sieves, hydrometers, Atterbergs, proctors, etc.
- Aid in preparation of technical reports, memos, analysis and specifications.
- Adhere to Site Specific Health and Safety Plans prepared for each project site and participate in site safety briefings and audits.
- Coordinate scheduling with contractors and subcontractors.
- Coordinate with internal team members daily.
- Pursuit of undergraduate degree in geotechnical/civil engineering or related field.
- Able to work in a team and independently.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic and high degree of motivation.
- Strong written and verbal communication, organization, and time management skills.
- Proficient with MS Office 365 (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and other computer applications.
- Access to a reliable means of transportation to the office and to job sites generally within 3 hours of the GTA.
We are GEI.Some of the world’s most pressing problems – from climate change to sustainable development, to critical infrastructure and the future of our energy supply – need our brightest and diverse minds working together to create safer, more resilient communities for tomorrow. We are technical experts, collaborators, and entrepreneurs who draw from diverse backgrounds to solve our clients’ most complex challenges. With more than 54 offices across North America, we offer a range of engineering, science, and technical consulting services. Our range of expertise, project types, and culture make us the choice for top talent in the AEC industry.In 2023, GEI merged with GM BluePlan, an Ontario-based engineering, management, and technology consulting company. The merger adds GM BluePlan’s nationally recognized expertise in asset management and infrastructure planning to the GEI family, furthering our growth and expansion in Canada.Employee-owned. Employee-focused.As a 100% employee-owned company, our employees support our flat leadership structure, have a say in how our business operates and benefit from our financial success. We are committed to employee growth with career development opportunities, competitive total rewards, a well-being program, flexible work arrangements and more. Our company culture is driven by our 4 Cs – we are Client-Centered, Curious, Collaborative, and Community Minded – which support our focus on sustainability, safety, diversity, equity and inclusion. Get to know us better by visiting GEI’s career site here.GEI’s Total Rewards Package
- Market-Competitive Compensation
- Hybrid Work Schedules and Cell Phone Stipend
- Rewards and Recognition
- A Vibrant Culture that is Focused on Partnership, Sustainability, Giving Back to Our Communities and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- And More…