Application deadline: 08 November 2023 - United States - Location: New York, NY/Tysons, VA - Water & EnvironmentTunnel Design EngineerTysons Virginia or New York CityFull-timeHybridDo you want the opportunity to co-create with our experts on some of the most prestigious infrastructure programs in North America? Can you work with limited to no supervision and as a part of a team located locally and remotely? And can you contribute with your expertise and get to learn from the best? Then, here is your chance to convert aspirations into actions.Shape a future where people and societies grow and flourishWe are seeking a highly motivated Tunnel Design Engineer to join our multidisciplinary team for delivery of small, medium, and large-scale projects. You will work closely with a team of experts working alongside our customers on some of North America's most significant projects.Your key responsibilities will be:
- Perform engineering and analysis for the design of tunnels and shafts in soft ground, mixed conditions, and rock(initial support and final lining). This will include the use of various tunnel construction methods such as drill and blast, sequential excavation method SEM), or TBM.
- Apply rock and soil mechanics skills to evaluate various failure modes and develop ground support schemes.
- Interpret and organize design results into project documentation such as Technical Memos, Geotechnical Data, Interpretive, or Baseline Reports, or Basis of Design reports.
- Characterize and classify ground conditions for different tunnelling methods based on geotechnical information.
- Communicate design work through the Preparation of drawing sketches indicating support types, geometry, construction sequencing, and instrumentation.
- Use tunnel analysis and design software such as FLAC/FLAC3D, Plaxis, Sofistik, AutoCAD, Revit, or others.
Your skills. Our team. Together we design the future
The first step to growth in this role is that you are eager to collaborate with the people around you, whether they are colleagues, partners, or customers. Developing ties with others is something you do by acting respectfully and delivering on your promises. And you never get set in your ways but keep exploring new insights and ways to improve.On top of that, you will have:
- Bachelor's of Science (or Master's of Science preferred) in Underground Construction/Tunnelling, Geotechnical, or Structural Engineering.
- A Professional Engineering license (PE) is required or the ability to acquire/transfer a PE license within 6 months.
- 5-8 years of related experience in tunnel and/or underground infrastructure.
- Sound knowledge of civil engineering fundamentals, soil and rock mechanics, structural engineering, and tunnelling methods.
- Good time-management skills, ability to organize priorities, and ability to sustain focus on longer tasks.
- Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, eagerness to learn, teamwork, creativity.
- Ability to work across different geographical areas including distributed work centers along with ability and willingness to travel.
A place to work and so much moreAt COWI, we work together with our customers to shape a sustainable and liveable world. We do it by applying our knowledge and curiosity – and sometimes even our courage – to create the solutions the world needs today to enable a better tomorrow. That is why we say no to fossil-based projects and aspire to have 100 percent of our revenue come from activities that move our customers towards sustainability.We value differences and development and cultivate an environment of belonging and having fun. Because that is what brings out the best in you, at work and at home.With offices primarily located in Scandinavia, the UK, North America and India, we are currently 7,300 people who bring their expertise in engineering, architecture, energy and environment into play.What we also offer:Being part of the COWI community offers more than just a competitive salary. We take care of our people both professionally and personally.Some of our benefits include:Flexible working conditions | Top up parental and childbirth recovery leave | Fantastic close-knit team with a wealth of knowledge to share | 3 weeks vacation to start | Floating holiday to celebrate employee diversity | Annual Fitness spending account. Yes, you can use this for a ski pass, yoga, or gym membership | 401K contribution matching with generous company match | Personal and professional development fund | Parking or public transit allowance | Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance 80% employer-paid premiums | STD, LTD, AD&D, and Life Insurance | Frequent social eventsBase compensation: $110,000 to $137,000 for New York location only. Actual compensation is subject to variations due to education, experience, skill set, and/or location. Got more questions?
Get to know us even better at our website, www.cowi.com, where you can learn more about our projects, our strategy, what we want to achieve, and what life is like at COWI.Equal opportunity employerCOWI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, COWI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Please click on this link for more information.#LI-HYBRID#LI-SSKIApply