About Us: Bartlett & West is an engineering, architecture, technology, and other professional services firm headquartered in Topeka, KS with 19 offices in seven states throughout the Midwest. As a completely employee-owned company, Bartlett & West has a “We Before Me” mentality. We prioritize service to our clients, communities, and each other. We’re less concerned about titles and more concerned about how each person can be supported to make the greatest impact. Position Summary:This entry-level position will assist in designing structural engineering projects including focus areas of public works, regional water systems, energy, land development, transportation and/or railroad projects. The position includes training under a Registered Professional Engineer to increase functional and technical knowledge and skills. This position specializes in structural engineering projects. Project work will involve commercial, industrial, educational buildings and water/wastewater treatment plant facilities. Veterans encouraged to apply.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Performs structural engineering analysis, develops plans and specifications for structural projects.
- Will focus on buildings, retaining walls, foundations and other structures design work.
- Prepares and reviews design calculations.
- Will design new or renovation projects, perform site investigations and document existing conditions.
- Writes technical reports.
- Preforms and prepares structural calculations for submittal to permitting agencies. Authors and edits structural specifications.
- Performs feasibility studies/layout work and analysis of complex structures.
- May assist with proposal preparations and fee development.
- Utilizes structural analysis and other design software to design and analyze projects.
- Will act as part of a team of professionals headed by a Project Manager.
- Although expected to work independently on most assignments, this position must be able to interact well with other team members and the manager relative to assigned aspects of the project.
- Assists with preparation on engineering analysis, designs and calculations relative to the project assigned. Assists in writing technical engineering and design reports.
- Provides contract administration, construction submittal reviews, Requests for Information (RFI), Engineer’s Supplemental Instruction (ESI), pay estimates/change orders, and other related activities. Attends industry events and becomes involved in the community.
- Ability to work with conventional engineering practice including a variety of complex features like conflicting design requirements, suitability of conventional materials and difficult coordination requirements.
- May perform quality assurance/quality control procedures in the field including field observation and materials testing.
- Manages engineering work and interfaces with other disciplines as needed.
- Typically handles multiple projects for multiple clients simultaneously.
- Visits clients and job sites as needed to support project(s) and business development needs.
- Serves as consultant on structural projects during construction phase.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent listening and reading skills, including proofreading
- Must be flexible to changes in work assignments on short notice and/or daily as changes occur in project needs
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills
- Knowledge of structural design, current building codes and standards
- General understanding of geotechnical engineering evaluations
- Knowledge in one or all of the following:
- Accountability in work performance
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to achieve business results
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to maintain amount of detail
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to embrace new technology and processes including learning other software programs as needed (Adobe, Bluebeam, Deltek Vision accounting and project planning software, Client Relationship Management software, etc.)
- Exhibits initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and leadership
- Good time management skills with ability to handle complex deadline driven workload
- Ability to work independently and within a team successfully
Bachelor’s degree in architectural engineering, structural engineering or related engineering field required. Experience:0-5 years engineering experience in appropriate discipline. Knowledge/experience with a variety of materials and structural design software preferred. E.I.T. preferred. Travel Expectations:Must be able to travel in-state and out-of-state on occasion, which usually would consist of visiting other office locations, project sites, attending seminars or business meetings. Minimum travel is 10% of the time depending on projects. Certain positions will require more travel. Travel expectations will be communicated through the employee-owner’s manager, and for newly open positions, travel expectations will be reflected in the job posting announcement. Driver’s license with clean driving record required. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested. Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability. An offer is contingent upon successfully passing the pre-employment drug screen. Drug screen will need to complete within 48 hours of being contacted. Nearly all positions at Bartlett & West can require employee-owners to operate a motor vehicle on public roads in the course of their duties. Accordingly, all employees may be required to have acceptable driving records and to provide an authorization to the Company to periodically obtain MVR reports”. Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows. Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability.