About Us: Bartlett & West is an engineering, architecture, technology, and other professional services firm headquartered in Topeka, KS with 19 offices in seven states throughout the Midwest. As a completely employee-owned company, Bartlett & West has a “We Before Me” mentality. We prioritize service to our clients, communities, and each other. We’re less concerned about titles and more concerned about how each person can be supported to make the greatest impact. Position Summary: This position is responsible for the complete management of all assigned projects, ranging in size and complexity. This position will focus more on Sales/Technical Leadership/Mentoring/Client Management and possibly People Management. Full management and authority of assigned projects includes developing and maintaining client relationships, marketing company services, identifying and meeting client expectations, pricing and negotiating contracts, performing engineering services, oversight of project quality, resource identification and management, meeting project schedules and profitability goals. May participate in developing and maintaining client relationships, and marketing company services. Veterans encouraged to apply.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Executes planning for projects, including development of the project scope, task organization, estimates of effort and other required resources, and schedules necessary to complete the project. Creates estimate of cost and budget for the project.
- Executes internal project setup procedures in accordance with the company’s policies.
- Directs, manages and participates in the production of the project deliverables including but not limited to: preliminary studies, plans and cost estimates, definition of and oversight of design surveys, designs and plan production, project status/review meetings, specification and contract document development and production.
- Manages the monthly project accounting process, including review of time and expense charges to projects, timely preparation of invoicing and management of accounts receivable (A/R) and work-in-process (WIP) in accordance with the company’s policies.
- Reviews and assesses the progress and financial performance of all assigned projects on a regular and ongoing basis. Coordinates and implements changes in resource assignments, production methods, etc. to achieve optimum efficiency and profitability. Coordinates with Service Group Leaders when additional labor is needed.
- Communicates openly and frequently with clients during the course of a project to ensure that all issues are addressed efficiently to the client’s satisfaction. Prepares, conducts and documents all progress review and other meetings.
- Conducts project closeout, including contract closeout, internal evaluation of project performance relative to the budget and feedback from the client regarding our performance on projects.
- Understands the company’s client service model and applies these principles to all interactions with clients.
- Participates in developing a culture of discipline, where the meeting of goals and deadlines is required not only with clients but with others throughout the company. Meets all administrative requirements and requests established by the company on the dates specified (e.g., timesheet submission, invoice preparation and submission, report submission and other corporate directives, etc.)
- Stays abreast of new engineering trends and techniques. Participates in professional organization(s) in the manager’s area of expertise and/or client focus. Maintains professional licensure in the states required by the company.
- Implements service group and company standards and company processes such as file management systems and resource management/project planning systems.
- Develops and fosters an open environment encouraging communications among team members assigned to a project.
- Begins engaging in marketing and developing business. Works with a SPM on proposals; participates in client presentations; closes the sale with the client.
- Develops and negotiates simple contracts and prices the contract for business.
- Generally manages small to medium size projects that are not complex.
- Participates in client maintenance. May assist in business development activities depending on unit business needs. Participates in the resolution of client issues/concerns.
- Manages accounts receivable for projects in accordance with company policy.
- Completes invoicing for review.
- May manage sub-consultants.
- May participate in resource sharing.
- May select staff for the project team; may provide performance feedback to direct manager of employee.
- Communicates with State and Federal agencies on simple matters and participates in meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills to maintain client and employee relationships.
- Business and Financial Acumen
- Planning/organizing/project management
- Implementation/project execution
- Decision making
- Customer Focus (internal/external)
- Self-awareness & self-mgmt.
- Conflict management/resolution
- Presentation skills
- Focus on results
- Taking initiative
Education:Bachelor degree in civil, structural, mechanical/electrical or architectural engineering as appropriate or equivalent in combined education and experience in the field of practice. Experience:10+ years’ experience in engineering specializing in projects in practice area with increasing responsibility, P.E. licensure required. 5+ years of managing project required. Must be able to obtain licensure in the states in which the company does business Travel Expectations:Position travels 25%+ of the year. Must be able to travel in-state and out-of-state, which consists regular travel between the employee’s home base and Topeka, visiting other company locations, visiting client locations, attending seminars or business meetings and trade shows. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested. Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability. An offer is contingent upon successfully passing the pre-employment drug screen. Drug screen will need to complete within 48 hours of being contacted. Nearly all positions at Bartlett & West can require employee-owners to operate a motor vehicle on public roads in the course of their duties. Accordingly, all employees may be required to have acceptable driving records and to provide an authorization to the Company to periodically obtain MVR reports”. Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows. Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability.