Do you want to help engineer what’s next?Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is a national engineering firm committed to delivering holistic advice for our clients’ most complex challenges. We leverage our collective and diverse experience, technical expertise, and industry knowledge of structures and building enclosures, advanced analysis, code consulting, and applied science & research to deliver unrivaled, comprehensive solutions that drive superior performance. With more than 600 employees in eight office locations throughout the United States, SGH’s industry-leading teams constantly seek to advance the meaning of what’s possible.We want someone passionate about structural engineering and problem solving.Our Structural Engineering division is currently looking to hire December 2021 and upcoming spring 2022 graduates with a Master’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering in our Chicago office. What You'll Be Doing: The Structures Division provides structural engineering services with emphasis on new design, repair and rehabilitation of constructed works, and investigation and performance evaluation of structures. As an entry-level hire, you will assist with new design, evaluation, investigation, and design of repairs for existing buildings. Essential duties include performing a wide range of structural engineering analysis and design tasks in steel, concrete, masonry and wood structures, assisting senior staff in on-site investigations to document existing conditions and determine root of problems; aiding senior staff during the construction administration phase of projects, and managing the preparation of drawings and specifications. A strong technical education, professional demeanor, and desire to learn is essential to this position. What You'll Need:
- MS in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Excellent written, oral and verbal communication skills required.
- FE/EIT certification, preferred.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent analytical and judgment capabilities required.
- Ability to effectively work independently and in a team environment required.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with computer analysis software preferred (e.g., ETABS, SAP, RISA, RAM, SAFE, etc.)
- Must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
- Enthusiasm and passion - consistently maintains high levels of activity and productivity
- Communication - conveys information to internal and external clients clearly with excellent writing or oral skills.
- Problem-solving – capability to solve minor or complex problems using data, logic, judgement and problem-solving tools.
- Accountability and responsibility - self-starter with willingness to interact as a team player and take independent initiative to ensure tasks are competed.
- Teamwork– work with others toward a shared goal, participating actively, sharing responsibility and rewards and contributing to the capability of the team.
- Teachable – passionate and willingness for continued learning of new ideas and concepts.
What makes careers at SGH so special?The only way to advance is to question and explore. Every member of the SGH team is both a learner and an educator, committed to advancing ourselves, our teams, and our industry. Together we are creating a community that never settles for what is, but always seeks what could be.There are many reasons to love SGH.
- Our Work: Our clients trust us to bring clarity and deliver outstanding solutions for their most complex projects.
- Our People: We are bold thinkers and compassionate teammates, committed to lifelong learning and professional growth.
- Our Commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back to our professions and communities.
- Our Contribution: We offer a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email [email protected].