An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Principal Fire Life Safety Engineer to join our Fire & Life Safety Team. Based in one of our California offices you will join a diverse team of fire-life safety, mechanical and fire protection engineers.
At Mott MacDonald, our Fire & Life Safety practice engage in engineering design with focus on Tunnel Ventilation; Egress modelling and wayfinding design; Fire Protection; HVAC applications; tunnel and building drainage.
Examples of the types of infrastructure projects the successful candidate may be involved in include the Ontario Line Project; the Scarborough Line Extension; the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel project; the Parallel Thimble Shoal project.
The successful candidate and will work closely with other design professionals and senior leaders and will be responsible for oversight and implementation of fire life safety analysis and design for major road and rail transportation projects, associated underground and surface facilities. Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Engagement in Client facing roles such as project management or Engineer of Record
- Business development for existing key and strategic clients, and development of new Client relationships
- Working with Leaders to support lead development, proposal opportunities, and project delivery
- Working in partnership with Leaders to advance the regional strategy for target markets, training, career development and well-being of staff
- Resource recruiting and hiring, including preparing job descriptions, participating in potential candidates interviews, in line with strategic growth and project delivery needs
- Providing leadership and guidance on technical issues, delivery of technical content, promotion of technical excellence for project delivery and work outcomes
- Provide technical leadership for the analysis, design and implementation of ventilation, fire protection and fire life safety systems for transportation and transit tunnels, and associated overbuild, underground and surface facilities
- Management and collaboration with multidisciplinary teams across multiple offices
- Preparation and peer review of FLS project-related technical reports, contract documents and specifications
We invite applications from candidates with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Mining Engineering, or a related Engineering field
- Registered Professional Engineer or other professional designation preferred
- Minimum 15 years of progressive experience in developing performance-based strategies and designs for tunnels and infrastructure projects including broad knowledge of Tunnel Ventilation System design, design optimization using 1D or 3D (CFD) industry standard software, SES, Ansys Fluent, FDS modelling, or similar, mechanical HVAC, plumbing and fire protection, egress strategy, fan plant inspection and condition assessment, testing and commissioning, and construction phase services
- Knowledge and application of current regulatory requirements for tunnel ventilation and fire safety, with experience in railways and underground spaces, including NFPA 130, NFPA 502, ASHRAE and local building codes
- Experienced in performing studies, evaluations, and design development for FLS engineering work including tunnel ventilation
- Experienced in interaction with jurisdictional authorities
- Experience in preparation of engineering analysis reports, and contract documents including drawings, specifications, and calculations
- Published in peer-reviewed industry journals and/or industry conference proceedings
- Experience as a client facing project manager with successfully completed tunnel ventilation projects, including with successful management of project budget and schedules
- Understanding of technical issues that impact design, construction and operation of transportation/transit tunnels and similar underground or enclosed spaces
- Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment
- Experience in directing and mentoring the work of junior engineers
- Ability to effectively communicate with project team members, clients, and others
- Ability to travel to clients’ offices and job sites and be willing to attend meetings after regular business hours where necessary – some travel may be required
Salary Range: $160,000 - $175,000
Benefits: 401k, medical, dental and vision insurance, STD/LTD disability, holiday, vacation and sick time, parental leave and company paid life insurance
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.
Hybrid working policy
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team, and personal commitments. We offer a hybrid working policy that embraces your well-being, flexibility, and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence