(NNEP) Civils, Structural & Architectural Lead Engineer
Location: Reading, England
Job ID: EST0000N3Your Impact:At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40+ countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent. In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.About the OpportunityWe are seeking a highly skilled and experienced engineer to join our growing Civil, Structural and Architectural capability in the position of Principal Engineer. The successful candidate will play a key role in our organization, collaborating closely with clients and stakeholders. They will be responsible for scoping, estimating, managing, and delivering projects. They will address and resolve functional issues within a project using their technical capabilities and engineering judgement, applying their skills or generating innovative solutions as appropriate whilst simultaneously interacting and collaborating with our engineers from other offices to deliver projects on time and to budget. Projects will vary in scale and complexity. You will be engaged across the complete project delivery life cycle from initial project definition and FEED studies to detailed design, procurement, construction, commissioning and handover to operations. This position will require regular attendance in our Reading office with frequent client site visits to develop stakeholder requirements and build critical relationships for success. However, work-life balance and flexibility are a focus for Jacobs. We're happy to discuss patterns and locations to suit you and our business.Your responsibilities will include:
- Generate and check engineering estimates and execution strategies to provide optimal solutions
- Technical quality and excellence of your work and the work of those working under you to ensure engineering delivery meets scope, time, cost and quality
- Drive projects from inception to completion whilst reporting strategy, delivery and financial performance of the work under your responsibility
- Advise clients and direct design team members in producing technical solutions and justification
- Technical and professional guidance, support and development of engineers and technicians, and responsible for developing and delivering design documents and solutions.
- Chair and facilitate technical and non-technical meetings, including progress meetings, workshops and design reviews
- Independent and autonomous work during the delivery of complex engineering activities
- Be fully conversant with business and quality management systems and actively encourage compliance within the team
Here’s What You’ll Need:Essential Requirements:
- Degree qualified in Civil/Structural Engineering or demonstrable equivalent underpinning knowledge and understanding with Chartered accreditation of an appropriate institution (ICE/IStructE)
- Ability to Lead projects of varying size and complexity, managing technical aspects as well as quality, budget, program, and resources.
- Excellent all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards and Eurocodes.
- Proficient use and knowledge of appropriate structural analysis programs (preferably STAAD)
- Experience in detailed calculations and design work for reinforced concrete and structural steelwork
- Ability to work effectively as a team member liaising directly with clients and other cross-discipline design team members with excellent verbal and written communication and report-writing skills.
- Awareness of applicable codes and safety legislation and how they should be applied.
- The ability to achieve a minimum of SC clearance.
Our CultureOur values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a roleIf you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact [email protected] or contact the team.Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know.