Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of designers, consultants and experts working globally. Founded to be humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology, and rigor to shape a better world.We are looking to for a Geotechnical Engineer to join our design team in New York City. We provide geotechnical services to our clients for design and construction projects locally, regionally, and globally. Our team works on projects like the New York Penn Station Expansion, the New Stapleton Waterfront development, Offshore Wind Foundations, or the JFK Terminal 4 redevelopment. Position Responsibilities:
- Performing geotechnical design and analysis for deep and shallow foundations, earthworks, retaining walls, excavations, tunnels, and underground structures.
- Collaborating within multi-disciplinary teams in the design of geotechnical elements for buildings and infrastructure projects, including residential and commercial buildings, bridges, tunnels, highways, railways, and airports.
- Preparing geotechnical reports, design drawings, and technical specifications
- Planning and being responsible for subsurface investigation, laboratory testing, and geotechnical instrumentation monitoring programs.
- Observing construction of geotechnical elements in the field, including pile driving, drilled shaft installation, shallow foundation subgrade preparation, and earthworks.
- Developing and maintaining client relationships, both internally and externally.
- Delegating to and coaching graduate geotechnical engineering staff.
- Working with senior staff to assist with business development activities and the preparation of bid proposals.
- Presenting technical material in traditional and innovative ways for review by technical and non-technical audiences.
- Understanding trends and standard methodologies in the infrastructure industry.
- Participating in local Professional Associations.
Technical Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil, Geological, or Mining Engineering; Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering required.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in geotechnical engineering practice with an emphasis on design and analysis of building foundations, civil works, excavations, and underground structures.
- Experience in Soil-Structure Interaction (SSI) using 2D and 3D numerical modeling tools such as Plaxis, LS-DYNA or FLAC.
- Experience in digital ground databases generation and management. Open Ground Experience preferred.
- Experience in 3D ground modelling with specialized software such as Leapfrog works.
- Experience in programming and data processing using digital tools: development of workflows and generation of automated processes.
- Good knowledge of federal and state/city codes.
- Experience in foundations construction oversight.
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills are required for our constantly evolving environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Active in professional circles and industry societies.
- EIT/FE required, PE in New York is preferred.
NYC hiring range - The good faith base salary hiring range for this job if performed in New York City is $90,000 to $100,000 per year. Benefits are not included in the base salary. Please note hiring ranges for candidates performing work outside of NYC will differ. Benefits that Work - At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our 401(k) plan with up to 10% company match to help you save for your future. Flexible Working - We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available. Arup is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, spouse of protected veteran, or disability.