Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Wood’s Environment & Infrastructure business and Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 20,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change. As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for an Assistant Vice President Civil Engineer - Landfill & Solid Waste Consultant for our Roseville, CA office. The following locations will also be considered: San Diego, CA or Costa Mesa, CA. Be involved in projects with our Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges. The selected candidate will lead project teams delivering services for civil and environmental engineering projects that involve waste management facility design and permitting, stormwater management, landfill gas management, operations planning, construction quality assurance. The position requires periodic travel and fieldwork as dictated by project demands in California.
- Managing and directing project design teams
- Managing large projects in the Solid Waste Sector
- Preparing engineering design reports
- Managing and directing construction quality assurance programs
- Pursuing and securing new project opportunities
- Client Interaction
- Regulatory Agency Interaction
- Preparing proposals
- Mentoring junior staff
- Provide proactive and strategic leadership for the civil engineering discipline and function, offering direction, expertise, and support to ensure project and work site deliverables are successfully achieved within the business sector.
- Lead larger-scale more complex civil engineering projects ensuring contributors know what they are required to do and by when, preparing and overseeing relevant project budgets, monitoring external events, tracking hours and expenses, ensuring satisfactory performance, and supervising subcontractors, contract work, and employees.
- Lead technical aspects of contract negotiation, presentations, and meetings.
- Support the overall long-term strategy, growth, and pipeline development of Civil Engineering work for WSP in assigned area of responsibility
- Responsible for the profitable performance of the individual projects and the successful completion of the projects within the specified area.
- Ensure that engineering discipline certifications, accreditations, and value proposition is developed and continuously improved.
- Serve as one of the engineering discipline’s lead representatives/liaison to a variety of external entities including Federal, State, and Local Agencies, Clients, Subcontractors, industry-related groups, and various government and community entities.
- Develop and inform proposal and project scopes, timelines, pricing, and budgetary metrics – and accountable for planning, development and management of projects in compliance with all applicable City/State/Federal codes and regulations, and in accordance with all acceptable engineering practices.
- Interpret and summarize data, including reports and documents that result in sound engineering and regulatory conclusions.
- Collaborate with professionals from a variety of disciplines to provide “trusted advisor” service and future ready solutions for clients.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Minimum Bachelors of Science degree in Civil Engineering or related degree with valid California PE registration
- 10+ years of experience in the practice of civil engineering design
- Experience in any of the following areas of practice; design and construction quality assurance for solid waste containment systems, preparing permitting documents for solid waste facilities, landfill gas compliance and management, preparing fill sequence and master plans for solid waste facilities (experience in more than one area preferred)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software
- Ability to work both independently and within groups
- Excellent work history with leadership abilities and a positive attitude
- Candidate must interact well with the public and clients and have excellent teamwork skills
- Engineer license required (multi-state preferred).
- Advanced proficiency with making technical computations and calculations involving the application of engineering principles, understanding plans and specifications and making factual comparisons to the appropriate regulations.
- Works independently and provides guidance and leadership to mid-level to senior level team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively, persuasively, and tactfully interact with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Tactical lateral thinking and strong analytical skills with attention to detail and prioritization of responsibilities in a pressure work environment.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including senior management, clients, regulators, and company-wide staff, including those with whom no formal hierarchical relationship exits.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Strong ability to quickly adapt to change and demonstrate flexibility to a variety of schedules and hours to meet business needs.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
Compensation and Benefits:
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career. Expected Salary: $125,200 - $185,400WSP USA is providing the compensation range and general description of other compensation and benefits that the company in good faith believes it might pay and/or offer for this position based on the successful applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities in addition to internal equity and geographic location. WSP USA reserves the right to ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an applicant’s sex or other status protected by local, state, or federal law.#LI-AC2
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 20%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: ROSEVILLE - ENTERPRISE WAY
- All locations: US-CA-Costa Mesa, US-CA-Roseville, US-CA-San Diego
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.comWSP provides a flexible and agile workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or other staffing services. Unsolicited resumes include any resume or hiring document sent to WSP in the absence of a signed Service Agreement where WSP has expressly requested recruitment/staffing services specific to the position at hand. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers or other business leaders, will become the property of WSP and WSP will have the right to hire that candidate without reservation – no fee or other compensation will be owed or paid to the recruiter, employment agency, or other staffing service.