About Burns Burns is a nationally respected provider of specialized engineering services, bringing highly-technical, sought-after engineering expertise to complex transportation and critical infrastructure projects.Facilities & Infrastructure TeamFor more than 50 years, we have built our reputation on outstanding client service. Ranked a Top Workplace and ENR Top 500 Design Firm, we are personally invested in helping our clients achieve their goals, sharing in their passions, and successfully guiding them through the challenges of complex projects using our no surprises Burns Unique Client Experience.Burns is currently seeking a licensed Structural Engineer to join our rapidly growing team in Los Angeles, CA. SUMMARYPerforms the technical activities on assigned projects and understands and adheres to the discipline technical policies and procedures. Participates in the production of technical studies, investigations and designs in support of assigned projects. Seeks guidance from the Senior Engineers, Principal Engineers, and Chief Engineers to develop complex engineering solutions and makes independent decisions to develop solutions of low to moderate complexity. Provides technical production direction to Designers and CAD Operators. Provides production of projects on time, in budget and of highest technical quality. ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures that company technical policies and procedures are practiced during the execution of projects for clients.
- Assists in developing design approaches and concepts on assigned projects and requests assistance from the senior technical staff when needed.
- Provides discipline specific engineering for systems and designs of low to moderate complexity.
- Delegation of work tasks and collaboration with subordinate staff, monitor and review delegated work for accuracy.
- Assists in the execution of technical training programs for design staff.
- As requested, assists in the development of proposals and presentations to clients.
- Assists in the performance management process by providing feedback to the Project Manager for performance evaluations.
- Assists Project Managers in the coordination of project designs with other disciplines including attendance at project meetings.
- Performs specific engineering studies and design analyses and assists the Project Manager in establishing budgets, cost estimates and project schedules.
- Reviews shop drawings, record changes and communicates directly with suppliers, contractors and client representatives as required.
- Performs on-site inspections during construction and coordinates design requirements with contractors and equipment suppliers
- Uses design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- Actively participates in professional organizations and/or client groups where the technical reputation and image of the firm may be enhanced.
- Performs assigned work in time frame and budget allotted.
- Informal task supervision of CAD Operators, Designers, Junior Associates, Associates, Engineers and Engineer IIs at the direction of the Project Manager.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Professionally Licensed Engineer in CA with a Bachelor's (B.S.) Engineering degree.
- A minimum 5-10 years related experience.
- Client interfacing experience is required.
- Experience working on electrification projects is preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Professional Engineering License.
LANGUAGE SKILLSAbility to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general publicMATHEMATICAL SKILLS
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as logarithms, higher order linear equations, calculus and economic analysis. Ability to apply knowledge to electrical, mechanical, or civil/structural design problems.REASONING ABILITY
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.COMPUTER SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge/ability to learn MS Outlook Contact Management systems; MS Excel Spreadsheet software and MS Word, MS PowerPoint Word Processing software.Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)