About Burns Burns is a nationally respected provider of specialized engineering services, bringing highly-technical, sought-after engineering expertise to complex transportation and critical infrastructure projects. Ranked a Top Workplace and ENR Top 500 Design Firm, we have built a reputation on outstanding client service, delivering resilient, life-protecting engineering solutions that take full advantage of new and evolving technologies. We are personally invested in helping our clients achieve their goals, successfully guiding them through the challenges of multifaceted projects using our no-surprises Burns Unique Client Experience. We are currently seeking a Structural Engineer to join our team in Washington, D.C. Position Summary:Th Structural Engineer makes decisions on engineering problems and methods and requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories and practices of the field. He/she continues to develop technical expertise in structural engineering and may begin to specialize in niche technical areas. The Engineer will spend the majority of their time developing technical expertise and supporting other and provide the production of projects on-time, in budget with high technical quality and client satisfaction.Essential Duties/Responsibilities:
- Designs projects for public infrastructure clients in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Performs site inspections and condition assessments of existing buildings and projects under construction.
- Coordinates design work between various internal disciplines and external sub consultants.
- Develops structural drawings, specifications, and calculations for renovations and new construction of public facilities.
- Takes lead in developing design approaches and concepts on assigned projects and requests assistance from the other senior technical staff when needed.
- Ensures that company technical policies and procedures are practiced during the execution of projects for clients.
- Reviews shop drawings, product data, RFIs, record changes and communicate directly with client representatives and contractors and as required.
- Performs on-site inspections during construction and coordinates design requirements with contractors and suppliers.
- Maintains overall project schedule of deliverable milestones.
- Develops innovative technical solutions and engineering methods to enhance efficiency, quality and production.
- Assists the Project Managers in establishing budgets, cost estimates and project schedules.
- Assists in proposal writing and client presentations for future work.
- Provides feedback to Project Managers regarding technical staff performance for mid and end-of-year review periods.
- Is recognized by clients as an expert technical resource.
- A minimum of 4-8 years related experience in structural engineering; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in structural design, drawing development, specification development, and review of shop drawings and product data.
- PE license in D.C., VA or MD is preferred but not required.
Why Join The Burns TeamRecently voted a Top Workplace by philly.com, we credit our strength as an organization to our talented, driven, vibrant team. Burns is an ENR Top 500 Firm and has been named a MEP Giant by Consulting-Specifying Engineer Magazine, as well as a Hot Firm by Zweig. We are industry experts, proven leaders, innovative thinkers, and team players. We put our clients’ successes and best interests first, because their success is our success. We have fun at work because we love making a difference in the world. We are looking for high-energy, bright, collaborative individuals who want the opportunity to “write their own story” with us.Applying To BurnsAs a member of our team, you will enjoy a competitive compensation and benefits package. Interested, qualified candidates must apply on the Burns’ career site at www.burns-group.com to be considered for a specific opportunity. Individuals needing assistance to apply for an open opportunity should contact the Human Resources Department at [email protected]. At Burns Engineering, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Burns believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)