Overview: SUMMIT Engineering, a Universal Engineering Sciences (UES) Company has an opening in our Structural Department. UES is a nationwide leader in Geotechnical Engineering, Construction Materials Testing and Inspection, Building Code Compliance, Environmental, Occupational Health & Safety, and Building Envelope.
Build your future as a Structural Design Assistant at SUMMIT Engineering, Laboratory & Testing, Inc., A Universal Engineering Sciences Company. As one of the fastest growing engineering firms in the nation, we’re looking for bold new talent to grow along with us. Your role as Structural Design Assistant will give you the opportunity to not only make your mark in a nationally recognized firm, but also directly contribute to our unprecedented growth. If you’re known for your commitment to excellence and passion for working in a collaborative environment, UES is where you belong. Position Summary: As a Structural Design Assistant, you will be working primarily on structural plans in AutoCAD in compliance with building codes and standards. The Structural Design Assistant will be responsible for providing drafting support to the structural engineering team. The design assistant will primarily work on residential structural plans and work regularly in AutoCAD.
- Work with structural designers/project managers to generate new plans, revisions, and/or lot specific drawings
- Complete structural calculations using analysis software and/or by hand for residential and commercial projects using materials including wood, structural steel, concrete and masonry
- Prepare structural plans and templates using CAD software for structural design
- Understand structural masonry code and job specification compliance
- Other duties as assigned
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- This position spends approximately 95% of time in an office environment and 5% in the field with project managers and clients.
- You may be exposed and involved with occasional field work on outside construction sites which could include conditions such as wet and/or humid environments, extreme cold and/or heat, dusty and noisy work environments
- Ability to use your senses to see (including close, distant and peripheral vision, depth vision and ability to focus), smell, hear and touch (use your hands to reach, climb or balance, crouch, stoop, crawl, kneel and sit)
- Some weekend and overtime work and/or overnight work and travel may be required.
- Required: High School Diploma
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Architectural Technology, Engineering Technology or closely related degree or High School Diploma and a minimum of 2 years of AutoCAD drafting experience with a focus on architectural or structural design
- Required: Highly proficient in AutoCAD architectural and drafting principles (experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D is a plus)
- Preferred: 1-2 years of structural engineering and/or residential design/construction experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from project managers, managers, and clients
- Ability to read and interpret construction documents, architectural and structural drawings
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence in a professional manner
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and clients
- Ability to calculate results from construction inspections
- Ability to accurately complete field-testing paperwork and detailed figures
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, detailed reports, short correspondence and memos
Who We Are: UES provides essential engineering services for some of the most prominent and significant projects in the nation. Our team members, from our drillers to administrative staff, contribute directly to projects that transform communities. With some of the greatest talent in Geotechnical Engineering, Construction Materials Testing and Inspection, Code Compliance, Environmental, Occupational Health & Safety, and Building Envelope, we are committed to delivering groundbreaking solutions for our clients. At the core of our success is our team members who make it all possible. We know that the projects we deliver are only as good as our people, which is why we offer enriching opportunities for career growth at every level. Growing in ExcellenceAs the #1 fastest growing AEC firm on The Zweig Group's Hot Firm list in 2021, UES is poised to lead our industry into the future. As we evolve from a one-man operation to a company spanning 60 branches and 2,500 employees, we’re looking for enthusiastic talent to launch their careers and grow along with us. Why Work at UES?We value the individual contributions of our employees, and we show this through providing great benefits. Click here to see how we support our people in and out of the workplace. Please ask your recruiter what benefits plans apply to you. Check out our website: teamues.comFollow us on social media: LinkedIn | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube#GroundedInExcellence
EEO/AA/Disability/Veteran Universal Engineering Sciences is a Drug-Free Workplace. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.