We are looking for a talented, motivated, and experienced Senior / Principal bridge engineer to support our Bridge and Civil Structures team in Vancouver. In this position, you will support/lead and supervise structural engineers on interdisciplinary project teams to design, build, assess, and maintain bridges and transportation structures in British Columbia, across Canada, and around the world.
Specific duties are likely to include, but are not limited to:
- Support / lead the design of a wide range of bridges, retaining walls, and other transportation structures from planning through concept to field implementation;
- Support / lead the assessment, rehabilitation, and seismic upgrade design of existing bridges, retaining walls, and other transportation structures from planning through concept to field implementation;
- Working with other professionals, clients, and third parties as required;
- Writing technical memos and reports to communicate your work;
- Supervising, coordinating, and reviewing the work of other structural engineers—including technical reports, engineering drawings, cost estimates, specifications, contract documents, and technical support during construction;
- Overseeing the planning and management of projects, so that they are completed on schedule and within budget;
- Providing project management and technical oversight—including mentoring team members;
- Working with new and existing clients to identify opportunities and develop new business as part of our ongoing growth strategy; and
- Leading the preparation of proposals.
The right candidate is a versatile and creative thinker who can support / lead teams of engineers to provide practical solutions to complex problems. The candidate must have the following experience:
- 12-18 years of structural engineering and project management experience, with an emphasis on bridges and transportation structures (BC experience is preferred);
- A Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from a recognized university (A Master’s degree is an asset but not necessary);
- A Professional Engineer in BC (or able to obtain);
- Demonstrated capability to support / lead design teams, plan and manage resources to deliver assignments within the required schedules and assigned budgets;
- A team player who is self-motivated and able to manage multiple responsibilities in a dynamic, interdisciplinary environment;
- Strong verbal, written, and graphical communication skills;
- A thorough understanding of structural design in reinforced concrete, prestressed concrete and structural steel (timber would be an asset but not necessary);
- A thorough understanding of earthquake engineering and performance-based design;
- Familiarity with relevant industry structural analysis software such as SAP2000, CSiBridge, MIDAS Civil;
- Familiar with the range of relevant codes, standards and specifications including CAN/CSA-S6 and AASHTO LRFD; and
- Experience with design-bid-build and alternative procurement models (e.g. P3, Design-Build).
Opening opportunities with connected thinking.
Together with our clients, Mott MacDonald is solving some of the world's most intricate challenges. We search out the connections others fail to make; we unlock creativity and deliver better outcomes for the lives we touch every day.
Mott MacDonald is a wholly independent, employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering and development consultancy servicing public and private sectors around the world with over 16,000 staff working out of 180 principal offices and delivering projects in 150 countries. Every day we build upon our reputation for technical excellence by taking on some of the world’s most prominent and challenging projects, particularly in areas such as highways and bridges, rail and transit systems, tunnels, and pipeline services.
We are positioned for healthy growth, profitability, and career opportunities across North America and around the world. As part of our growing business, we want to hear from you: the enthusiastic, collaborative, and talented individuals who enjoy problem solving and pitching in to grow a successful business. Join our team of seasoned professionals who are finding opportunities through connected thinking to develop our Mott MacDonald global presence.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Mott MacDonald Canada Limited will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Hybrid working policy
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team, and personal commitments. We offer a hybrid working policy that embraces your well-being, flexibility, and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence