Mott MacDonald’s transportation and infrastructure teams work on some of the biggest and most challenging projects across North America. We’ve completed and are currently involved in a host of amazing solutions to complex projects; incorporating our values of sustainability and improving communities. Based from one of our Bay Area offices (San Ramon, San Jose or San Francisco) the tunnel engineer will provide support on underground work projects. You will be part of a team that is responsible for preparation of reference, conceptual, preliminary, and final design plans, specifications, and estimates.
This will be a versatile role, with the tunnel engineer undertaking a cross-section of projects; including: tunnels, caverns, shafts, micro-tunnels, trenchless and other underground structures.
In addition to the overarching responsibility, your day-to-day activities could typically include:
- Planning and design of tunnel, micro-tunnel and trenchless projects including initial and final support, excavation support systems, foundations, as well as other underground structures predominately for transit, highway and water projects
- Acts as part of a team of professionals on multiple projects.
- Interacts with team members and assists in the coordination of work among other engineers and design staff
- Communication with other office, project and client staff
- Works to support Mott MacDonald’s larger tunnel practice - regionally and globally
- Assist preparing and monitoring work plans, scope, schedule, and budgets
- Assist Mott MacDonald with project pursuits and proposals
- Work in project teams for the delivery, design, and documentation of project requirements for large transit, highway, water and wastewater tunnels;
- Lead or support specific tasks and other project staff in the development of geo-investigations, evaluation of geotechnical data, geo-structural analysis, design, evaluation and preparation of calculations and drawings and construction bid documents, preparation of feasibility studies for tunneling related projects including cost and schedule estimates;
- Contribute to the preparation of standard documents, such as technical specifications, in accordance with applicable design codes;
- Assist in the mentoring and review of work of other tunnel engineers;
- Liaise with other disciplines, professionals, clients and third parties as needed;
- Contribute to the successful completion of projects in area of responsibility;
- Perform other duties as required.
Mott MacDonald's experience in transportation dates back to the early 1900s. Our team of professionals provides cost-effective and innovative engineering solutions for the North American region with unprecedented success. We’re looking for a tunnel engineer to join our team and invite applications from candidates.
Preferred candidates will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Civil / Structural, Geological or Geotechnical Engineering from an accredited university;
- Professional engineering designation or credentials for registration as a professional engineer is required;
- 5 or more years of experience in micro-tunneling, tunneling or structural/geotechnical engineering design and investigation for tunnels, caverns, shafts, deep braced excavations and other underground structures/projects;
- Experience with the construction or construction management of tunneling or structural projects a plus;
- Experience in leading the development of plans and specifications for small projects (<$10M construction value) and lead design studies and analyses for larger projects (>$200 M construction value);
- Experience in writing and reviewing geotechnical reports, including geotechnical baseline reports;
- Experience in writing technical specifications;
- Experience working in a consulting engineering environment;
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills;
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills in complex and changing environments.
- Knowledge and experience with soil and rock mechanics, ground/structural numerical methods and their application in surface and underground environments;
- Experience with the design of tunnel and shaft support systems/techniques in both soil and rock environments;
If you share our vision, then let’s discuss how we can help you take the next step in your career and how you can participate in an exciting new chapter for Mott MacDonald in North America.
Salary Range: $83,000 - $120,000
Benefits: 401k, medical, dental and vision insurance, STD/LTD disability, holiday, vacation and sick time, parental leave and company paid life insurance
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence