Location: Laval, Quebec, CARequisition ID: 169008 Job Level: Entry Level Home District/Group: Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers Department: Design Engineering Market: Transportation Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering has an immediate opening for an entry to mid-level Geotechnical Engineer to join our growing Construction Engineering Services group in the Laval office, QC. The selected candidate will work with an interdisciplinary team that includes civil, structural, drainage, rail, and mechanical engineers as well as estimators, schedulers and other construction professionals to identify geotechnical risks and develop designs for appropriate means and methods to facilitate construction of a full range of challenging engineering projects. You will also be responsible for facilitating the production of engineering designs necessary to support our diverse construction operations across Canada.
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering's Design-Build team is driving clients to turn to Kiewit during all stages of design-build projects. Through our integrated design and construction approach, our multi-disciplinary team works together to improve schedule, control costs and minimize risk. Our construction-focused engineers work collaboratively with our estimators and builders to design solutions that are innovative, constructible, and designed with a focus on safety. Clients benefit from the proven processes and tools used by Kiewit to minimize project risk. We are an in-house resource that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff shares experiences gained, innovative concepts, and best practices for all projects that we support. Kiewit’s management and implementation of this process leads to safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that exceeds client expectations and furthers Kiewit’s legacy of excellence. On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. We will train you, develop your skills, and allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building RRSP matching, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
This position is based out of our office in Laval, QC and includes travel opportunities to project offices and work sites.
Under the supervision of the CES Geotechnical Lead, you will utilize your geotechnical engineering knowledge to complete technical engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business, including:
- Working with the pursuit team during the proposal/bid phase to help identify key design risks, develop plans to mitigate risks and propose design/construction methodology to help support the cost estimating;
- Providing project support during the project build phase working with various team members to identify and evaluate innovative and cost-effective design solutions to geotechnical problems and challenges;
- Undertaking and/or coordinating geotechnical designs and input to the designs of temporary structures in support of ongoing construction;
- Working on EPC/design-build projects to develop design recommendations and producing design deliverables.
- Performing and overseeing subsurface investigations, field testing and construction oversight.
- Producing reports, drawings and detailed calculation packages.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Geological Engineering;
- Master's degree in Geotechnical Engineering or equivalent experience;
- Registration or eligibility to register for EIT or Eng. in the Province of Quebec (OIQ).
- Fluent in English and/or French (French language proficiency required to be a member of OIQ);
- 3+ years of geotechnical experience;
- Competent with at least one suite of Slope stability software (GeoStudio, Rocscience);
- Competent in Microsoft Office Tools and ability to learn / adapt to new tech. tools;
- Geotechnical design experience (see list below) or demonstrate ability and willingness to transition to a design role;
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of some geotechnical engineering solutions which may include: design of deep foundations, shallow foundations, evaluating slope stability, seismic engineering, earth retention and support of excavations, rock mechanics, settlement of compressible soils, ground improvement techniques, support of excavation and dewatering, working surfaces, pile drivability, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills resulting in good rapport with people. Proven success in initiating, promoting, and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships in a team setting.
- Ability and willingness to travel to Kiewit offices to participate in meetings.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project sites and the physical ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environmental conditions.
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We believe in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination and comply with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.