Location: Lenexa, KS, US Houston, TX, USRequisition ID: 168764 Job Level: Senior Level Home District/Group: Kiewit Industrial & Water Engineering Department: Design Engineering Market: Industrial Employment Type: Full Time
The Industrial Buildings Group engineering team within Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc. is a multi-discipline engineering company serving many Industrial, Energy, and Infrastructure markets in North America. Organized as a multi-discipline engineering and architecture department, the Industrial Buildings Group (IBG) provides Kiewit projects with in-house building design services as part of design/build and Engineer/Procure/Construct (EPC) projects. The IBG Buildings Lead is responsible for consistency and quality in overall building design execution and overall multi-discipline personnel performance and development. This position is similar to a building architectural or MEP design project manager. The selected individuals will be a peer to the other KIND discipline leads and report to the IBG Operations Lead.
Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service engineering consulting and design firm serving a broad range of the industrial markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,700 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve the industrial, transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Our operations-focused engineering provides our clients with safe and efficient facilities, and it integrates our 130 years of construction experience to finish projects on time and to make sure that Nobody Gets Hurt. Our rapidly growing Industrial Engineering team, which includes process, mechanical, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Mineral Processing, Renewable Fuels, Pulp and Paper, Steel & Aluminum, Industrial Buildings, and Industrial Energy, Water and Utilities.
This position is located in Lenexa, KS.
- The individual is leading the building project team, along with being, the primary interface with project management and other project discipline leads. The building project team encompasses architects, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and BIM designers.
- Management and ownership of project performance (productivity, quality, schedule). Monitor project and team metrics; On an as-needed basis this individual will seek out underperformance, and develop and execute a recovery plan.
- Actively support project initiation and development in both the estimate and execution phases to ensure projects are set up for success.
- Manage project staffing needs to properly support each project with the mindset of serving both the project and the development of the team through setting and managing high expectations.
- Drives communication within the project team, and various stakeholders ensuring understanding of ongoing activities, contractual requirements, budget, and overall project schedule.
- Collaborate with the estimating department with lessons from production.
- The building lead is in charge of understanding the entire building scope of a project. They are the primary interface with procurement, construction, the client, and project management regarding building design and execution.
Additional responsibilities or specifics:
- Maintain and continue to develop relationships with EPC project stakeholders as the representative for IBG’s center of excellence for buildings.
- Attend weekly project meetings including but not limited to:
- Leads Coordination Meeting
- Project Controls
- Model Walks
- Run weekly buildings internal coordination meetings
- Provide accurate forecasting of project man-power needs to IBG department managers
- Defining and owning project schedules and various document control metrics
- Drive the EPC mindset on the project team.
- Know the project contract requirements and what was included in the project estimate.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Architecture, Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Architectural Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant design experience
- 2 years of relevant building project management experience leading a team of a minimum of 4 individuals
- Design-Build or EPC project experience
- Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA) license, preferred
- Basic knowledge of multi-discipline industrial building design
- The candidate should be a solution-driven individual with leadership experience, strong communication skills, and the ability to collaborate with a group of experienced professionals.
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.