Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change. As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for an Associate Geotechnical Engineer for our Redmond, WA office. Be involved in projects with our Ground Engineering and Materials; Earth & Environment Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges. Provides geotechnical engineering assistance and guidance for due diligence, investigation, remediation, impact assessment, permitting, improvement, and construction of infrastructure projects and systems in the public and private sector. Tasks may include assisting with the research, design, analysis, concept development, planning, and construction of roads, buildings, tunnels, dams, canals, levees, bridges, water supply systems, underground storage, and sewage treatment. Generates accurate and concise reports and documentation regarding material, installations, and construction specifications. Ensures that responsibilities are delivered and adhered to with a level of quality that meets or exceeds acceptable industry standards for design, safety, and functionality.Redmond, WA sits 15 miles outside of Seattle. While this role has the preference of someone sitting in the Redmond office we are flexible to allow a candidate to work out of Seattle as well. WSP operates off of a hybrid work schedule and we would like the selected candidate to be in office at least 3 days per week.
- With minimal assistance, collect, compile, and analyze data from the physical work site, soil/rock samples, surveys, blueprints, GIS data, subsurface information, maps, geotechnical data, and other matrices for project development, design, and construction.
- Maintain quality control standards and procedures for accurate and precise measurements, statistical analysis of rock and soil environmental data, and reporting.
- Perform professional geotechnical engineering work and assist with proposed and existing site conditions, including subsurface investigations, soil foundation engineering, settlement analysis, advanced earthquake engineering, soil erosion, lateral earth pressures, geological hazards, underground water, and slope stability to determine conformance with applicable rules, standards, construction, or operating permits for commercial, industrial, building, environmental, infrastructure, and transportation projects.
- Participate in incorporating advanced modeling techniques, concept development, design requirements, and operating strategies to account for the safety and functionality of end-users, transportation systems, structures, and the incorporation of future-ready solutions with geotechnical engineering design standards.
- Work as an individual or as part of a cross-functional team of engineers, planners, and scientific professionals to execute project work, assisting with laying out installations, foundations, slopes, retaining structures, embankments, and other systems that are made or supported by soil or rock, calculating costs and quantities of material/equipment/labor, and ensuring project work conforms with specifications, permit applications, compliance documentation, and regulatory and technical analysis memos.
- Verify the characteristics of a site, providing technical assistance on whether any various environmental, soil surface/subsurface, stress-bearing factors, erosion, settlement, and slope will pose a safety risk to the proposed project.
- Prepare data and visualizations such as tables, charts, accurate reports, sketches, calculations, and illustrations for the interpretation or presentation of data, findings, or analyses.
- Assist with development and scoping of small- to medium-sized projects.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical reports and presentations that explain research and findings to improve, prevent, control, restore, or address design and/or construction issues or problems.
- Conduct geotechnical engineering studies and surveys to gain further information on a particular design, issue, and/or to plan for future needs.
- Assist in the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of data obtained during field investigations, offering input with developing action plans for low to mid-level risk mitigation activities.
- Assist with providing direction and technical guidance to junior staff.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of site Health and Safety Plans (HASPs).
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and planners on projects with infrastructure authorities on Federal, State, regional, and locally funded improvement and development projects.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- 1 to 3 years of relevant post education experience in engineering discipline and prior geotechnical design experience.
- Technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering, including: design of deep foundations, shallow foundations, evaluating slope stability, earthquake engineering, retaining wall design, earth retention, rock mechanics, settlement of compressible soils, ground improvement techniques, support of excavation, dewatering, and the application to permitting and project work-related issues.
- Experience with infrastructure planning, design, and construction management; including rehabilitation and new design.
- Sound understanding of the disciplines of rock and soil mechanics to investigate subsurface and geologic conditions to design and build foundations, earth structures, and pavement sub-grades.
- Ability to coordinate with agency regulators and understand requirements.
- Knowledge of relevant remediation, permitting, improvement, and construction laws, codes, regulations, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements.
- Capable interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively and professionally to an engineering and non-engineering audience.
- Effective self-leadership with attention to detail, results orientation, and managing multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, follow instruction, work independently, and comply with company policies.
- Proficiency with technical writing, office automation, software, technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Experience with discipline-specific design software (i.e., SLIDE, Settle3, SlopeW, SeepW, LPILE, Plaxis, FLACi).
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Master’s or Doctorate Degree in geotechnical engineering, or related field.
- Experience performing numerical modeling related to geotechnical design.
- Licensed Civil Engineer in the State of Washington, or ability to obtain a Washington PE within one year.
- Experience managing and delivering projects on time and budget.
- Basic First Aid and Adult CPR training desired.
Compensation and Benefits:
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career. Expected Salary: $77,700 - $98,600WSP USA is providing the compensation range and general description of other compensation and benefits that the company in good faith believes it might pay and/or offer for this position based on the successful applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities in addition to internal equity and geographic location. WSP USA reserves the right to ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and offer additional benefits and other compensation, depending on circumstances not related to an applicant’s sex or other status protected by local, state, or federal law.#LI-AC2
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 50%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: REDMOND - REDMOND WAY
- All locations: US-WA-Federal Way, US-WA-Redmond, US-WA-Seattle
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.comWSP provides a flexible and agile workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or other staffing services. Unsolicited resumes include any resume or hiring document sent to WSP in the absence of a signed Service Agreement where WSP has expressly requested recruitment/staffing services specific to the position at hand. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers or other business leaders, will become the property of WSP and WSP will have the right to hire that candidate without reservation – no fee or other compensation will be owed or paid to the recruiter, employment agency, or other staffing service.