GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. (GZA) is seeking a Marine Structural Engineer to join our waterfront practice in our Melville, NY office.The successful candidate must have a professional demeanor and a technical background in structural engineering. Experience in the structural and geotechnical aspects of shoreline and nearshore waterfront structures or similar horizontal structures would be a plus. Starting position title and salary are based on the candidate’s education and experience. Advancement is dependent on the candidate’s abilities, initiative and ambition.As a Marine Structural Engineer, you will work with a team of dedicated project managers and principals on a wide variety of exciting and challenging projects including port terminals, marinas, piers, and bulkheads. Our close-knit culture at GZA will allow you to grow professionally through projects and mentorship from seasoned registered Professional Engineers, who will also look to you to share your technical knowledge and ideas with our team. Our success relies on this collaborative environment.
- Perform engineering analyses/calculations in connection with the design and construction of piers, bulkheads, mooring structures, deep and shallow foundations, earth retaining structures, support of excavation and shore protection structures
- Perform condition surveys and assessments of existing waterfront structures
- Evaluate field data and prepare field and engineering reports, technical specifications, and other technical documents
- Conduct technical analyses/calculations including development of environmental loading criteria, berthing and mooring analyses, structural modeling, soil structure interaction, member and detail design, and cost estimating
- Support production of construction drawings and preparation of bid documents
- Monitor and document geotechnical and structural aspects of construction projects
- Work on multidisciplinary project teams
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with contractors, clients and team members
- Complete a 10-hour Construction Course
- GZA emphasizes a One Company environment, and as a member of our team, you may be asked to assist on projects and tasks outside of your primary responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering required. (Master’s Degree is a plus).
- 3 + years of relevant experience preferred.
- Fluent in one or more Autodesk CADD programs. RISA and MathCAD are a plus.
- Interest in developing proficiency with Structural/Geotechnical Engineering Software and spreadsheets. Previous experience is preferred, but not required.
- Highly motivated self-starter with a professional attitude.
- Strong communication, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to perform field tasks and activities.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to travel at local and regional levels.
- Ability and desire to obtain Professional registration.
- Professional development and enrichment
- Exciting work environment
- Generous, company-subsidized benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, tuition reimbursement, and 401k retirement plan
GZA is an employee-owned multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm with a history of more than 50 years of providing innovative engineering solutions to improve the natural and built environment. We are an ENR Top 500 Design firm focused on geotechnical, environmental, water, ecological, and construction management services. With a staff of interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on complex projects above, below and at ground-level, GZA’s experts provide seamless integration across practice areas, client type, and location.GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. is an Affirmative/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, marital or veteran status, age or other protected status.