DescriptionOPEN to All Qualified ApplicantsOPEN UNTIL FILLED
This is a position specific recruitment. The resulting list of eligible candidates will be used to fill this Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) position/function only. All interested persons will need to re-apply for any future recruitment conducted for this classification.
The Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) owns, operates, and maintains eight major toll facilities comprised of four bridges, two tunnels, and two turnpikes, across the State of Maryland. For over 50 years, the MDTA has provided Maryland's citizens and visitors with safe, secure, and convenient transportation facilities. We are committed to quality and excellence in customer service, and we rely on our organization's values, traditions and – most importantly – our employees to achieve these goals.
Nature of Work: The incumbent works in the Office of Engineering and Construction under the Structures Discipline. The position responsibilities include the ability to multi-task while providing timely communication, to accommodate the dynamics of the MDTA's Inspection Program. While serving as part of a team, responsibilities may include assisting with large and complex engineering projects, multidisciplinary projects and managing small and less complex projects. Such projects may involve development of special provisions and construction cost estimates. Duties for the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performing follow-up bridge inspections that include reviewing inspection reports, reviewing/performing load ratings, making repair recommendations and setting repair priorities, and ensuring consistency across multiple inspection teams through field and report audits;
- tracking of task budgets assigned to inspections, assisting with the annual submissions to the Federal Highway Administatrion (FHWA), and developing task order designs for structural repairs in accordance with the MD State Highway Administration (SHA) standards with engineering cost estimates;
- Coordinating with various agencies to secure permits, coordinating with consultants for task related issues, and coordinating with Operations and Construction personnel for follow up on inspection and repair related assignments; and
- Reviewing and coordinating projects where the above actions are performed by outside consultants, including the preparation of man-hour estimates and the approval of billing invoices. .
This position will be supervised by Structures Inspection Program Manager in the Structures Discipline, who is a licensed professional engineer, or other higher-level engineering managers, depending on tasks assigned. Work is performed in an office setting and in the field; work may involve physical inspection of previous, existing or proposed transportation facilities or job sites. The current vacancy is in Baltimore, Maryland.
MDTA employees are offered a generous benefits package including: a minimum of 10 paid holidays, a minimum of 27* days of leave annually (personal, vacation, and sick), access to the State Pension System, deferred compensation plans, excellent health, dental, and vision plans, and more! *May be prorated based upon start date.
Possession of an Engineer in Training (EIT) Certificate in the State of Maryland. Evidence of certificate must be presented at the time of appointment.
Experience: Two (2) years of experience performing engineering work acceptable to the Maryland State Board for Professional Engineers involving the application of specialized engineering analysis and design that includes aspects of design, evaluation, and inspection in accordance with specifications and drawings, investigation, and planning. *One year of this experience must include performing structural (bridge/building) engineering, design, and/or inspection.
Qualifying engineering work must conform to the definition of "Practice Engineering" as set forth in the Business Occupations and Professions Article, Title 14, Professional Engineers, §14-101 (f):
- (1) "Practice engineering" means to provide any service or creative work the performance of which requires education, training, and experience in the application of:
- (i) special knowledge of the mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences; and
- (ii) the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design.
- (2) In regard to a building or other structure, machine, equipment, process, works, system, project, or public or private utility, "practice engineering" includes:
- (i) consultation;
- (ii) design;
- (iii) evaluation;
- (iv) inspection of construction to ensure compliance with specifications and drawings;
- (v) investigation;
- (vi) planning; and
- (vii) design coordination.
- (3) "Practice engineering" does not include the exclusive and sole performance of nontechnical management activities.
** SELECTIVE QUALIFICATION recruitments are utilized when the position requires specific or additional bona fide occupational qualifications (knowledge, skills, and abilities). No substitutions are allowed for a Selective Qualification.
Your placement on an eligible list may be based solely on the contents of your application; therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information. Please include all relevant experience on your application. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part time, volunteer, military, acting capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for.
If you have held more than one (1) position at the same employer, please list each position that you held and the length of time that you held each position.
Applicants may substitute additional graduate level education in engineering for the required experience on a year for year basis.
Licenses & Certifications1. Applicants may substitute an EIT Certificate from a state with comparable requirements that are acceptable to the Maryland State Board for Professional Engineers for Maryland EIT certification. Evidence of certification must be presented at time of appointment.
2. Persons currently registered as Professional Engineers in the State of Maryland, or in a state with comparable requirements that are acceptable to the Maryland State Board for Professional Engineers, are considered to have met the minimum qualifications. Evidence of license must be presented at time of appointment.
3. Applicants must possess a Driver's License valid in the State of Maryland. Applicants must list the license number and date of expiration on the application.
1. Registration requirements are established under Title 14, Business Occupations and Professions Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
2. Employees of the Maryland Department of Transportation assigned to especially sensitive locations or facilities may be required to obtain and maintain a special security badge.
Additional Information1. Employees may be subject to emergency recall 24 hours a day and may be required to maintain a reliable communication link (telephone or pager) for the purpose of emergency call back requirements.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please apply on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mdotmd. RESUMES CANNOT BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE ONLINE EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION. Paper applications (Form DTS-1) will not be accepted for this recruitment.
Please be advised that the State of Maryland is dedicated to a drug-free workplace, and as a result, employees are subject to the State's Substance Abuse Policy to include possible drug testing. Selected candidate(s) may be subject to background and reference checks.
The incumbent in this position may be a member of a covered bargaining unit.
The Maryland Transportation Authority is not sponsoring new employees in application of the H-1B Visa or providing an extension of an existing H-1B Visa at this time due to budgetary constraints. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H-1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees, all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MDTA does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
MDOT has various careers for people of all experiences, backgrounds, and abilities who come together to contribute to one mission - connecting our customers to life’s opportunities. Join us in serving our Maryland residents, visitors, and businesses!
Reasonable Accommodations for persons with disabilities will be provided upon request.
Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with disability will be provided upon request. Please notify in advance. MD Relay Service Number 1-800-735-2258 (TTY Number: 711). Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
Issue Date: 2/1/2023