Do you want to help engineer what’s next?Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is a national engineering firm committed to delivering holistic advice for our clients’ most complex challenges. We leverage our collective and diverse experience, technical expertise, and industry knowledge of structures and building enclosures, advanced analysis, code consulting, and applied science & research to deliver unrivaled, comprehensive solutions that drive superior performance. With more than 600 employees in eight office locations throughout the United States, SGH’s industry-leading teams constantly seek to advance the meaning of what’s possible.We want someone passionate about engineering, materials science, and problem solving.Our Applied Science & Research team at SGH is always looking for great talent and especially people who enjoy solving difficult problems in a creative way. We’re looking for someone to help support the continued development of a wide array of engineering and testing services within our state-of-the-art research laboratory. In this role, you will be heavily involved with the planning and execution of projects such as those encompassing material failures, material identification, physical testing of materials, and materials research. You will also manage the preparation of cost estimates, calculations, drawings, test plans, and specifications.What You'll Do:
- Perform a wide range of engineering testing and analysis involving building, bridge, and piping projects of many material types.
- Develop scope of services and prepare proposals.
- Serve as a Project Manager, assembling and managing the project team, oversee work and serve as the primary client contact.
- Foster and develop new business as appropriate.
- Monitor and/or conduct laboratory testing and failure analysis of materials used in construction.
- Analyze research and investigation data to develop well-founded cause-and-effect relationships.
- Design, build, fabricate, and/or subcontract fixtures for testing.
- Supervise laboratory staff and analysts.
- Conduct on-site inspection/investigation including survey and documentation of distress, field testing, and condition documentation.
- Stay abreast of new scientific methods and developments affecting their technical specialty.
- Actively participate in industry organizations, serve on technical committees, and author papers in area of expertise while developing industry recognition as an expert.
- Develop internally and externally funded research projects related to our core business.
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in Civil, Structural, Mechanical Engineering, or Materials Science from an ABET-accredited university.
- 7+ years of relevant engineering experience preferred
- Professional Engineer License (P.E.) required (or the ability and passion to obtain within 2 years).
- Strong communication and writing skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Independent problem-solving skills and lifelong learner.
- Ability to work in a team environment and lead junior engineering staff on assignments.
- Experience with testing equipment (e.g., Instron, MTS, Forney)
- Very familiar with computer laboratory software (e.g., SolidWorks, MATLAB, LabVIEW)
- Must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
** Pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires U.S. Citizenship or U.S. National status. **Why Engineers Like Working at SGH:
- Our work: Our clients trust us with their most challenging projects and we leverage our collective expertise to deliver exceptional results. At SGH, you will develop innovative solutions for the built environment by working with industry thought leaders and accessing the latest in testing, research, and technology.
- Our people: We are people of high character and diverse talents who are committed to lifelong learning and professional growth. As part of our team, you will join peers who love solving difficult problems and strive to be outstanding in everything they do.
- Our commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back. Here, you can help advance our profession by contributing to industry organizations, committees, standards, and procedures. Within our communities, we strive to improve neighborhoods and mentor our future leaders.
- Our contribution: At SGH, you have access to a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email [email protected].