Location: Philadelphia, PA, US, 19103-3638Langan provides expert land development engineering and environmental consulting services for major developers, renewable energy producers, energy companies, corporations, healthcare systems, colleges/universities, and large infrastructure programs throughout the U.S. and around the world. Our employees collaborate seamlessly among 30+ offices and gain valuable hands-on experience that fosters career growth. Langan culture is entrepreneurial from advancing innovative technical solutions, to participating in robust training and knowledge sharing, to making progressive change within the communities we live and work. Consistently ranked among the top ten “Best Firms to Work For” and Engineering News-Record’s top 50 firms worldwide, Langan attracts and retains the best talent in the industry. Employees thrive at Langan, a firm that embraces and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion; prioritizes wellbeing, health and safety; encourages volunteerism and philanthropy; offers workplace flexibility, along with carbon neutral office spaces; and empowers individuals to contribute their skills and knowledge to make impactful contributions.
Langan is seeking a Geostructural Engineer to join its collaborative team in Philadelphia, PA. This individual will serve a key function in developing effective and innovative structural design solutions for unique situations in support of the geotechnical engineering group. In this role, you will also have the opportunity to support site/civil and landscape architectural groups on complex, multidisciplinary projects. This position offers significant opportunity for professional growth including, but not limited to cross-disciplinary collaboration, client interaction and development, and much more!
- Provide geostructural analysis and design support for geotechnical projects, including: support of excavation, underpinning, slope stabilization, utility support, ground-improvement, shallow and deep foundations, earth-retaining structures and grouting programs;
- Perform geostructural engineering for site/civil engineering and landscape architecture projects, including: reinforced-concrete design of site structures such as retaining walls, stairs, ramps, pavements, rooftops and specialty site and landscape structures; loading calculations for fences and railings; footing and foundation design for site lighting, fences, bollard and site furnishings, stone and masonry-clad walls, decking and boardwalks; and design of other concrete, steel and timber construction;
- Design and oversight of positive cutoff walls, dewatering systems, and waterfront features such as railings, paving materials, and site furnishings;
- Fieldwork is required; and
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with a Structural or Geotechnical focus from an ABET-accredited university; Master’s degree is a plus;
- 4+ years of geostructural engineering experience;
- FE/EIT certification required; Project Engineer license preferred;
- Ability to design support of excavation details and documents from concept through completion;
- Proficient with soil and rock mechanics, soil-structure interaction analysis and design, numerical analysis and LRFD methodology;
- Solid understanding of ACI, AISC, AASHTO, and building codes that guide site/civil and landscape architecture design and construction, along with practical knowledge about traditional and innovative materials and finishes;
- Software proficiency in: Plaxis 2D, RISA, MathCAD, and AutoCAD; Experience with Plaxis 3D a plus;
- Willingness to perform field work as needed; Experience with earthwork and support of excavation and concrete construction oversight a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with staff, co-workers, management and clients;
- Strong technical skills, analytical ability and attention to detail;
- Possess effective time-management skills and ability to balance multiple concurrent tasks, responsibilities and priorities;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; and,
- Ability to travel is required along with a valid driver’s license in good standing.
Langan provides a rich array of programs and benefits to help its employees advance their careers and enhance the quality of their lives. Our comprehensive compensation package includes: full-time employment company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage; life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and paid pregnancy disability leave; 401(k)/Roth with company match; paid time off including parental and military leave; employee referral and professional license bonuses; and educational reimbursement. Langan offers employee resource groups; flexible work schedules; extensive training; wellness programs; buddy and mentoring programs; and much more! Langan is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer committed to building a team that represents and values diverse backgrounds. Langan promotes a positive work environment of inclusion, where we respect each other’s differences and recognize that a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment is a key to our success.