Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of designers, advisors and experts working globally. Founded to be humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology, and rigor to shape a better world.At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 13,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Arup’s Houston office is seeking an engineer with geotechnical background to provide engineering services to its clients on design and construction projects.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:• Planning and executing subsurface investigation and laboratory testing programs
• Performing geotechnical design and analysis for foundations, embankments, retaining walls, excavations, and underground structures
• Interacting with structural engineers and collaborating in the design of building foundations, bridge foundations, tunnels etc.
• Performing numerical analysis using various sophisticated engineering software for seismic site response analyses, slopes, excavations, foundations, and underground structures, etc.
• Coding/programming to automate high frequency tasks
• Knowledge in numerical modelling software such as PLAXIS-3D, LSDyna and FLAC.
• Evaluating and assessing data from field instrumentation (settlement, ground movement around excavations and load tests of piles and anchors) to calibrate predicted performance with actual performance.
• Preparing geotechnical reports and recommendations
• Assist with administrative duties or management support as assigned by sub-group leader
• Assist with business development activitiesQualifications:• The candidate applying for this position should meet the following requirements:
• Master’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Ph.D. would be preferred.
• PE in California preferred.
• Minimum 4-6 years of experience in geotechnical and/or tunnel engineering practice with emphasis on major bridges or heavy civil structures.
• Familiarity with soil-structure interaction problems in a variety of soil conditions
• Working knowledge of seismic analysis and codes
• Proven experience in geotechnical project planning, analyses, design and preparation of deliverables
• Comfortable balancing multiple roles and responsibilities in high stress situations
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills (ability to communicate effectively with clients, regulators, and junior staff)
• Ability to communicate and coordinate work within an integrated multidisciplinary teamBenefits that Work - At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our 401(k) plan with up to 10% company match to help you save for your future.
Flexible Working - We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available.
Arup is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all qualified candidates regardless of national origin, veteran, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or other status protected by law. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].#LI-HYBRID