Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects across sectors including Aviation, Defence, Energy, Cities and Development, Education, Rail and Water.Atkins’ Building Design practice provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of projects relating to buildings and infrastructure. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects across sectors including; Education, Commercial, Residential, Defence, Energy and Transportation.Atkins are looking to appoint Chartered Senior Structural Engineer into our Bristol Structures team to help deliver work on major defence and nuclear projects in the South West. Successful candidates will be required to work a minimum of 3 days per week from a client office or construction site in Devon or Somerset.You will have the opportunity to work with major clients on stimulating and high-profile projects in the UK. As well as the role providing technical and creative challenges you will have the satisfaction of working on projects which are changing the way people live and work today.This role will require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance.Requirements:
- Chartered Engineer (MIStructE or MICE).
- Excellent communication and presentation skills that can support our client relationships.
- Ability to manage and work to budget and program, to control costs and manage change control processes.
- Be a technically excellent engineer, with established skills and delivery capability.
- Have experience in several, and ideally all of the following areas:
- UK MoD Defence Projects (JSP’s, CTM etc).
- Submarine Facilities Design.
- Nuclear Projects (Satisfying Safety Cases).
- Seismic Design and Detailing (Steel and Concrete to US Codes).
- Maritime Design (BS 6349).
- Heavy Civils Design.
- Building Design.
- Acting as a Discipline Lead.
- Design and/or Project Management.
- This should include experience in the design of common structural materials as well as a good understanding of current design standards and working practices.
- The ability to translate this broad range of technical skills into imaginative ideas which enhance the quality of our designs.
- Proven experience on developing projects from concept to construction stage.
- A flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given.
- The ability to develop scopes of work and delivery programmes.
- Experience of working with, and managing, small focused project teams.
- You should have the ability to make decisions, act on your own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
- A curious minded individual who enjoys the stimulation of exchanging ideas with others.
- Deliver and lead multiple projects or parts of larger projects to completion, within budget and to programme.
- Ensure the provision of efficient high quality structural engineering design.
- Be the first point of contact for clients, contractors, design team and third parties.
- Offer support and guidance to more junior members of the team.
- Build client relationships and help identify business opportunities.
- Effectively manage own time which may be necessary if allocated to more than one project.
- Be a technical champion within the team.
- Assist in managing the broader team through mentoring and training.
What we offer?Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, no requirement for a full-time contract, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office. Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.Training:Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process.Rewards and Benefits:We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need.You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/.Additional Information:This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.#LI-INFRASTRUCTURE | #LI-UK | #LI-ATKINS