About Burns Burns is a nationally respected provider of specialized engineering services, bringing highly-technical, sought-after engineering expertise to complex transportation and critical infrastructure projects. Ranked a Top Workplace and ENR Top 500 Design Firm, we have built a reputation on outstanding client service, delivering resilient, life-protecting engineering solutions that take full advantage of new and evolving technologies. We are personally invested in helping our clients achieve their goals, successfully guiding them through the challenges of multifaceted projects using our no-surprises Burns Unique Client Experience. We are currently seeking a Structural Engineer to join our headquarters in Philadelphia, Pa. Position Summary:Performs the technical activities on assigned projects and understands and adheres to the discipline technical policies and procedures. Participates in the production of technical studies, investigations and designs in support of assigned projects. Seeks guidance from the Senior Engineers, Principal Engineers and Chief Engineers to develop complex engineering solutions and makes independent decisions to develop solutions of low to moderate complexity. Provides technical production direction to Designers and CAD Operators. Provides production of projects on-time, in budget and of highest technical quality.The selected applicant will be joining a close-knit group of approximately 20 structural engineers, designers, and project managers that support the entire interdisciplinary team at Burns. While responsibilities will include support of projects throughout the country for Aviation, Facilities and Infrastructure, and Railroad and Transit, the focus of the position will be supporting the Facilities Team within Railroad and Transit for projects in the greater Mid-Atlantic and Northeast Regions. Project work is expected to include such structures as rail and transit stations, bus depots, maintenance facilities, headquarter buildings for police and administrative offices, electrical infrastructure projects, and design of specialty wayside structures. Work will include new construction along with renovation, alteration, and historic preservation of the broad range of facilities operated by our primary clients.Essential Duties/Responsibilities:
- Ensures that company technical policies and procedures are practiced during the execution of projects for clients.
- Assists in developing design approaches and concepts on assigned projects and requests assistance from the senior technical staff when needed.
- Provides discipline specific engineering for systems and designs of low to moderate complexity.
- Delegation of work tasks and collaboration with subordinate staff, monitor and review delegated work for accuracy.
- Assists in the execution of technical training programs for design staff.
- As requested, assists in the development of proposals and presentations to clients.
- Assists in the performance management process by providing feedback to the Project Manager for performance evaluations.
- Assists Project Managers in the coordination of project designs with other disciplines including attendance at project meetings.
- Performs specific engineering studies and design analyses and assists the Project Manager in establishing budgets, cost estimates and project schedules.
- Reviews shop drawings, record changes and communicates directly with suppliers, contractors and client representatives as required.
- Performs on-site inspections during construction and coordinates design requirements with contractors and equipment suppliers.
- Uses design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- Actively participates in professional organizations and/or client groups where the technical reputation and image of the firm may be enhanced.
- Performs assigned work in time frame and budget allotted.
- 3-7 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- EIT or PE preferred but not required.
Why Join The Burns TeamRecently voted a Top Workplace by philly.com, we credit our strength as an organization to our talented, driven, vibrant team. Burns is an ENR Top 500 Firm and has been named a MEP Giant by Consulting-Specifying Engineer Magazine, as well as a Hot Firm by Zweig. We are industry experts, proven leaders, innovative thinkers, and team players. We put our clients’ successes and best interests first, because their success is our success. We have fun at work because we love making a difference in the world. We are looking for high-energy, bright, collaborative individuals who want the opportunity to “write their own story” with us.Applying To BurnsAs a member of our team, you will enjoy a competitive compensation and benefits package. Interested, qualified candidates must apply on the Burns’ career site at www.burns-group.com to be considered for a specific opportunity. Individuals needing assistance to apply for an open opportunity should contact the Human Resources Department at [email protected]. At Burns Engineering, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Burns believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)