ACCEPTING FALL 2023 CO-OP CANDIDATES Company Overview McPhail Associates, LLC (McPhail) provides geotechnical engineering, geoenvironmental engineering, geothermal energy, contracting support, and below-grade waterproofing consultation services to architects, owners, contractors, institutions, and developers. McPhail’s professional team is made up of practical, detail-oriented, and highly motivated problem solvers who hold professional certifications and degrees in civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, environmental science, and geology. Job Summary We are accepting resumes from positive, confident, and detail-oriented candidates who are looking to join our growing team of exceptionally skilled leaders. As a Geotechnical / Geoenvironmental Co-op, you will gain valuable professional experience and will be provided with hands on training to work in the field and in McPhail’s laboratory which will give you a sense of accomplishment, and real-life experience in the field of engineering. Your responsibilities will include performing on-site observation at construction sites in and around the Greater Boston area and throughout New England and documenting geotechnical and/or geoenvironmental aspects of subsurface explorations programs, construction and/or remediation projects in accordance with the project’s scope of services. McPhail will also provide you with OSHA 10 Construction Industry Training. Responsibilities
- Monitor foundation-related construction activities such as earthwork, ground improvement, and pile installation.
- Perform in-place density testing on backfill material.
- Coordinate with contractors.
- Perform environmental sampling of soil, groundwater, soil gas, and indoor air.
- Prepare soil samples to be submitted to an outside laboratory for chemical testing.
- Monitor environmental remediation.
- Perform geotechnical laboratory testing.
- Maintain clean and organized working conditions in the laboratory.
- Maintain and service field equipment.
- Perform vibration monitoring with seismographs.
- Monitor subsurface explorations (e.g., borings, test pits).
- Prepare clear, accurate, and detailed field reports daily.
- Communicate activities with project team daily.
- Provide general assistance, as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Actively pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in civil engineering, environmental science, geology, or related discipline.
- Strong organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills and detail oriented.
- Possess ability to maintain effective working relationships with project staff and contractors through clear communication and accurate detailed reporting.
- Ability to ask thoughtful questions and for assistance when needed.
- Current 10-hour OSHA Construction Industry Training or 40-hour HAZWOPER training is preferred, but not required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook) and Bluebeam Revu.
- Valid driver’s license with reliable daily transportation.
- Ability to travel to active construction sites in Massachusetts and occasionally surrounding states.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time and lift materials and equipment up to 75 lbs.
- Competitive wages plus “time and a half” for overtime.
- Monthly cell phone stipend.
- Expense reimbursement.
McPhail is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, and local laws.