Overview: SUMMIT Engineering, a Universal Engineering Sciences (UES) Company has an opening in our Structural Department. UES is a nationwide leader in Geotechnical Engineering, Construction Materials Testing and Inspection, Building Code Compliance, Environmental, Occupational Health & Safety, and Building Envelope.
As a Structural Field Inspector, you will provide various duties in the field and office setting to support the structural engineering department to include structural inspections, forensic inspections, drafting, design and analysis.
- Travel to various job sites in a company provided vehicle
- Perform Structural Inspections (Residential, Commercial, Special Inspections)
- Perform basic structural analysis calculation both by hand and software
- Prepare AutoCAD drafting of designs – residential homes, commercial buildings, retaining walls, etc.
- Perform load path analysis
- Prepare general reports
- Perform general tasks as assigned by the department manager or perspective project managers
- Perform Special Inspections and Construction Materials Testing as needed
- Complete structural concrete and reinforcing code and job specification compliance
- Document field activity and report findings to the clients and supervisors
- Daily communication with site contractors, other technicians and project managers
- Other duties as assigned
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Regularly exposed to outside weather conditions such as wet and/or humid environments, extreme cold and/or heat, dusty and noisy work environments
- Field work on outside construction sites involving long-term standing and potentially repetitive motions
- Ability to use your senses to see (including close, distant and peripheral vision, depth vision and ability to focus), smell, hear and touch (use your hands to reach, climb or balance, crouch, stoop, crawl, kneel and sit)
- Some weekend and overtime work and/or overnight work and travel may be required. You may be required to drive hundreds of miles per day
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move/shake up to 40lbs (soil and/or concrete tests and related apparatus); frequently lift and/or move up to 60lbs (soil and sand samples, and nuclear density equipment); and occasionally move more than 100lbs. (such as a loaded wheelbarrow of concrete samples)
- Ability to read and interpret construction documents
- Ability to calculate results from construction inspections
- Ability to accurately complete field-testing paperwork and detailed figures
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, detailed reports, short correspondence and memos
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization
Qualifications (required unless otherwise noted)
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver's License with acceptable driving record
- Required: 4-year Civil Engineering degree from an accredited university
- Preferred: focus in Structural or Geotechnical Engineering
- Preferred Professional Certifications: Engineering-In-Training (EIT) certificate or the ability to obtain, Knowledge of International Building and Residential Codes, ACI, ASCE-07
- Preferred to have completed the following classes: Concrete Design I, Timber Design, Steel Design I, Geotechnical Engineering I and II, Retaining Wall Design
- 2 years of prior field and/or inspections experience
- Strong written and verbal communication and ability to use technology/computer
- Ability to read and interpret construction documents
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business memos and proposals
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, AutoCAD and various engineering programs
SUMMIT Engineering, Laboratory & Testing, Inc. is a multi-disciplinary engineering and consulting services firm which specializes in Construction Materials Testing, Geotechnical, Environmental and Structural Engineering as well as Forensic Inspections, Residential and Retaining Wall Design, Subsurface Drilling, Chapter 17 Special Inspections, Advanced AASHTO, ACI, AMRL, CCRL and NCDOT Laboratory Testing.
In 2021, SUMMIT strategically merged with the Universal Engineering Sciences (UES) Family, becoming part of the Universal Engineering Sciences brand of companies.
Who We Are: UES provides essential engineering services for some of the most prominent and significant projects in the nation. Our team members, from our drillers to administrative staff, contribute directly to projects that transform communities. With some of the greatest talent in Geotechnical Engineering, Construction Materials Testing and Inspection, Code Compliance, Environmental, Occupational Health & Safety, and Building Envelope, we are committed to delivering groundbreaking solutions for our clients. At the core of our success is our team members who make it all possible. We know that the projects we deliver are only as good as our people, which is why we offer enriching opportunities for career growth at every level. Growing in ExcellenceAs the #1 fastest growing AEC firm on The Zweig Group's Hot Firm list in 2021, UES is poised to lead our industry into the future. As we evolve from a one-man operation to a company spanning 60 branches and 2,500 employees, we’re looking for enthusiastic talent to launch their careers and grow along with us. Why Work at UES?We value the individual contributions of our employees, and we show this through providing great benefits. Click here to see how we support our people in and out of the workplace. Please ask your recruiter what benefits plans apply to you.