KGS Group is expanding! As part of this expansion, we are seeking Structural Engineers and EITs to join our growing Structural Groups across Canada.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our clients and people first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.Some of our core clients at KGS Group operate in the Hydropower and Water Management fields. We see a need for us to expand our teams to continue building strength to continue to service our clients well. To meet these coming needs, we are looking for strong candidates of all levels to build our teams in these markets at all levels across Canada as well as the West Coast USA.
We are seeking applicants to be Structural Engineers in our Hydro Groups currently in BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and USA, but also potentially for remote workers anywhere across the country. We are looking for candidates who will work extensively with concrete and steel Hydro structures. The successful applicants will have degrees from accredited universities and be excellent team players. For intermediate and senior roles, successful candidates will have experience in structural engineering and ideally consulting on hydroelectric and water resource projects.The technical work includes working on feasibility studies, engineering designs, preparation of construction drawings and specifications and carrying out structural inspections primarily for rehabilitation and upgrades to water retaining structures, hydroelectric facilities and new hydroelectric developments in Canada and the USA.Key Responsibilities:While much of the depth of the work will depend on the level of experience, candidates can expect to take part in a wide variety of project work including:
- Performing site inspections and condition assessments of existing concrete, steel or timber water retaining and water conveyance structures.
- Assessing structures and investigating alternative methods for carrying out remedial projects for hydroelectric facilities and water retaining and flow control structures (i.e., intake structures, retaining walls, penstocks, spillways, etc.)
- Carrying out structural design and analysis for dams and hydroelectric facilities.
- Preparation and review of all deliverables for projects including reports, calculations, drawings and/or specifications.
- May include quantity and cost estimating for proposed construction projects.
- Preparing and continually monitors a schedule of tasks required to complete the project on time, on budget and on spec including hours to perform tasks and critical data required for performance.
- Analyzing and interpreting engineering reports, professional journals, technical procedures, code/standards and governmental regulations. Must also be able to write or proof-read reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals and to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, colleagues and the general public.
- Keeping the Project and department managers advised of all changes in scope of work and possibly prepares amendments to the contract for review and submission to client.
- Preparation, development, write-up and review of proposals.
- Providing construction site support, periodically or full time dependant on the role.
- Reviewing shop drawings and contractor’s submittals.
- Participating in mentorship as Mentors and Mentees for all levels of practice.
- Coordinating with external consultants, vendors as required to ensure smooth project delivery.
- Helping to maintain strong relationships with clients.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in civil engineering from a recognized university (Master’s degree or PHd is an asset)
- Must be registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer in Canada.
- Experience in the water resource and hydroelectric field with heavy civil projects, including water retaining structures and flood control structures, and knowledge of the Canadian Dam Association (CDA) Dam Safety Guidelines is an asset.
- Proficiency with Mathcad and structural software such as “STAAD.Pro”, SAP2000, Ansys, Sframe.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and other drafting tools would be an asset.
- Strong proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Highly proactive with exceptional problem solving/analytical skills.
- Excellent oral & written language skills.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and the ability/willingness to undergo security clearance checks.
- Working locations and offices will depend on applicant. Attendance at a KGS Group office regularly is encouraged to strengthen the mentorship and development of staff. Travel to various outdoor sites and durations at the sites will be determined by project and individual needs.
- For more senior roles 10 years or more of experience in civil/structural engineering with demonstrated project management skills (i.e. writing progress reports, tracking budgets and meeting schedules) will be considered an asset.
- Experience with CDA and FERC Guidelines and working on Dam Safety in Canada or the USA are an asset.
- Proficiency in both French and English and ability to register with OIQ is an asset.
- Registration as a PE in the USA is considered an asset.
KGS Group believes in assisting each of our employees to fulfill their career goals. We offer professional development opportunities along with a competitive pay and benefits package.KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.