Tracking Code18630Job DescriptionJohnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 2,000 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT is currently ranked #60 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms. JMT’s growing Structures Team is seeking to add a dynamic Bridge Project Engineer to their Herndon, Virginia Office. This position will provide a variety of bridge design experiences, giving a well-rounded opportunity for professional development and growth. Sponsorship not available for this position. Position Summary: The Bridge Design Engineer will design bridge and transportation structures of varying complexity in accordance with AASHTO and VDOT Specifications. The Bridge Design Engineer will receive general supervision from the Project Manager and will work closely with Professional Engineers. Bridge design tasks and responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Structural analysis and design calculations for bridges (steel plate girders, prestressed concrete beams, foundations, etc.), retaining walls, bridge repairs, and ancillary structures (traffic signals, overhead sign structures, etc.).
- Preparing structural plan details in accordance with VDOT and industry standards, while also considering requirements from other disciplines (survey, roadway, drainage, etc.)
- Preliminary design reports, which summarize and compare different structural alternatives depending on the project.
- Quantity and cost estimate development.
- Construction submittal reviews, including RFI’s and shop drawings.
- Ability to work on multiple project assignments in a dynamic, fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines, and follow-up on assignments as required.
- Ability to write, speak, and communicate clearly.
- Ability to design structures with varying levels of complexity.
- Ability to analyze statically determinate and indeterminate structures and bridges.
- Knowledge of structural design principles for steel, reinforced concrete, and prestressed concrete for both superstructure and substructure components.
- 0-5 years of experience performing design of highway bridges and transportation structures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in structures.
- Experience in using structural analysis and design software, MathCAD, MicroStation or other drafting software, and proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word and Excel.
- Passed Virginia FE exam or has Virginia PE license.
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in structures.
- Familiarity with VDOT and AASHTO LRFD bridge design requirements.
- Experience using MDX, CONSPAN, ABLRFD, RC-Pier and L-Pile, or other similar programs.
- Experience in performing load ratings using AASHTOWare Bridge Rating software.
- Experience in preparing plans using CADD / MicroStation.
Working ConditionsWork is performed in the office 90% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment. Field work is required approximately 10% of the time where work will be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 50 lbs) may be required as needed. Job Competencies
- Analytical thinking/Problem solving
- Decision Making
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.Job LocationHerndon, Virginia, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular