DescriptionEarth Systems provides a wide variety of services including geotechnical engineering, geology and hydrogeology, construction materials testing and inspection, and soils and materials laboratory testing. Earth Systems is founded on our people and has more than 50 years of experience working in communities throughout California.
We are currently recruiting for a leadership-driven and self-motivated Principal/Associate Geotechnical Engineer based out of our Hollister/Salinas offices.
Geotechnical Engineer Education and Qualifications:
- B.S. Degree in Civil Engineering with Geotechnical Engineering concentration required.
- M.S. Degree in Geotechnical Engineering preferred.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) required.
- Licensed Geotechnical Engineer (GE) required.
Geotechnical Engineer Required Experience:
- 15+ years of experience at a geotechnical consulting firm, of which at least 5-8 of the years have been in a Project Management capacity or higher.
Geotechnical Engineer Responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee geotechnical, forensic, and construction projects, including consulting with clients, design professionals, and contractors.
- Plan and supervise soil exploration, logging, and classification.
- Schedule laboratory testing to evaluate soil types, behavior, and engineering properties.
- Evaluate geologic and seismic hazards, including liquefaction, lateral spreading, and dry sand settlement; provide mitigation recommendations when needed.
- Analyze natural, fill, and reinforced slopes.
- Evaluate distressed structures and failed slopes and give mitigation recommendations.
- Provide bearing capacity, earth pressures, and pavement recommendations.
- Provide analysis of and design recommendations for shallow and deep foundations.
- Provide analysis of and design parameters for temporary and permanent earth retention.
- Provide grading and ground modification recommendations.
- Prepare proposals, schedules, and reports to achieve project goals while managing budgets.
- Be involved with materials testing projects, including concrete mix designs, reviewing technician and inspector daily field reports, and overseeing assigned projects and technical staff.
- Responsible for completion of projects within budget and on schedule and tracking for time and materials projects.
- Oversees and supervises technical staff to ensure projects are completed in accordance with company policies and standards.
- Scope and prepare proposals for geotechnical reporting and material testing.
- Assist with responding to Requests for Proposal (RFP).
- Provide leadership and managerial guidance; ensure that the vision and mission of the firm is achieved by setting milestones and benchmarks.
- Supervise and mentor staff providing guidance, resources, and insight on projects and problems as needed.
- Recognized as an expert in the field; provide quality control review of work; verifying the accuracy and appropriateness of technical submissions.
- Lead communicator with clients.
- Identifies target markets, segments, and clients to pursue.
- Works with Project Managers on client development works directly with select clients and assists Project Managers with client inquiries.
- Participates in professional organizations, community, civic and cultural events related to its clients and industry.
Geotechnical Engineer Knowledge & Skills:
- Mature engineering/geologic knowledge and judgment.
- Experience managing a firm; budgets, proposals, and staffing.
- Team-first mentality; ability to oversee and mentor employees.
- Expertise in Project Management: understanding scope of work, scheduling staff, delegating tasks, and maintaining a project budget.
- Expertise in training staff to improve technical craft and communication: including engineering calculation, technical reports, AutoCAD, design software, etc.
- Ability to foster and maintain positive and successful employee and client relationships.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations pertinent to Geotechnical Engineering.
- Extensive knowledge of testing and inspection of construction materials, standards, and codes.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Ability to complete tasks with accuracy and with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work with integrity, trust, and commitment, as outlined in core competencies.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely; both orally and in writing.
- Extensive knowledge of terminology, methods, practices, and techniques used in technical reports and project preparation.
- Able to receive and execute the direction of the Managing Principal and Chief Executive Officer.
Geotechnical Engineer Benefits: We offer a competitive salary and benefits plan including medical, vision, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance, generous PTO, paid holidays, and 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching.
The expected pay range for this position is $140-180k per year. Exact rate is dependent on several factors such as experience, qualifications, education/licensures, and geographic location.
Employment is conditioned upon completing a background check, review of Motor Vehicle Records, drug screening, and a medical evaluation appropriate to the position.
Earth Systems provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.