The Bridge/Tunnel Designer & Inspector will join the Bridge Inspection team performing the inspection and analysis of bridge structures throughout Massachusetts. The ideal candidate will have taken one or more structural design classes, including concrete, steel, timber, and/or foundation design. Entry level candidates are encouraged to apply and will be provided on the job training. More experienced candidates with up to 4 years of relevant experience are highly encouraged for this position.RESPONSIBILITIESThe successful candidate will be part of teams that complete safety inspection of infrastructure and prepare detailed inspection reports that document the condition of the structures inspected. This position has a dynamic schedule, including a mix of daytime and nighttime field work and daytime office work. Travel may sometimes be required to perform inspections, with occasional overnight stays. The work environment consists of a mix of on-site field and office/work-from-home. Field work duties will be to support the Team Leader in the inspection of bridges, culverts, sign structures, etc. Office work will include the development of detailed charts and technical reports to document the condition of the inspected infrastructure.The position could also include the live load rating of bridge structures. This work includes the analysis of concrete, steel, and timber bridges, masonry arches, culverts, and tunnel structures, from simple to very complex.REQUIREMENTS: Assistant Team Lead
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- 0 - 4+ years of experience.
- EIT desired.
- 2 week NHI bridge inspection class preferred
- Must demonstrate a personal commitment to quality, accuracy, safety, and efficiency.
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills are essential to the long-term success in this role.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to obtain a DOT Medical Certificate for the purpose of driving and operating bucket trucks and company vehicles.
- Able to work in challenging environments, including working from heights, in enclosed environments, and working around traffic.
- Safety conscious and will be responsible for their personal safety and the safety of their fellow team members.
- Use hand tools, ladders, tape-measures, and other equipment necessary for the proper evaluation of bridges.
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on policy, procedures, and relevant software while acquiring an understanding of the company’s service offerings and standards relevant to your projects.
- Microsoft Office Suite with a focus on Excel.
- Experience with MathCAD, AutoCAD, and MassDOT 4D BMS system software.
- Taken the FHWA/NHI Bridge Safety Inspection courses.
BENEFITSWe offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Life, AD&D, short-term, and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development
- Generous paid time off
COMPENSATION:The targeted salary for this position is approximately $65,000.00 - $85,000.00. This will be dependent on the experience and expertise of the incoming candidate.MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENT AND OTHER INFORMATIONMichael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. As a covered federal contractor, Michael Baker International is required to comply with Executive Order 14042, Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, and its implementing guidelines. If the federal vaccine mandate is found to be valid and enforceable, this will include ensuring that all covered employees are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, except in limited circumstances where there is a legal entitlement to an accommodation. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified, and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
ABOUT THE TEAM
BRIDGE PRACTICE Michael Baker International has addressed bridge design, construction and preservation challenges with innovative and sustainable solutions. Exemplifying its depth and versatility in the bridge space, Michael Baker International, ranked Number Five by Engineering News-Record in its annual ranking of Bridge Design Firms in the United States, has partnered with clients on a full spectrum of bridge types-from conventional grade separations to major, complex river crossings, including trusses, arches, box girders and cable-stayed bridges.