BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international applied earth sciences professional services firm. We are proud of our talented team of over 700 employees, spanning the fields of Engineering, Geoscience, Software, Geomatics, Data Science, Accounting, Administration, Health & Safety and Human Resources. Alongside our clients and industry partners, BGC works collaboratively as ‘One Team’, dedicated to solving the world’s most critical applied earth science challenges. BGC has Canadian offices located in Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Fredericton, Halifax, and offices in Golden (Colorado), Santiago (Chile), Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) and Brisbane (Australia). Our flat management structure creates a culture of innovation, excellence and transparency and a casual, dynamic and inclusive work environment. BGC prides itself on offering training and mentoring opportunities to further our employees’ professional growth as well as social and wellness activities that contribute to the connection and wellbeing of our team. We believe in One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense and Clarity.
BGC is seeking a Senior Hydrogeologist to work out of one of our Western Canadian offices (Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, or Kamloops). This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of approximately 50 hydrogeologists, hydrogeological engineers and geochemists working on mining and linear infrastructure projects across North America. In this role, you will collaborate with multi-disciplinary project teams (e.g., geotechnical, geochemistry, hydrology and hydrotechnical) to deliver high-quality services and offer solutions to our client’s unique applied earth science challenges. The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in groundwater management for mining projects, and will have experience with engineering consulting and project management.
- Be the lead hydrogeologist responsible for managing small to medium-sized teams on a variety of scopes that may include, but are not limited to, mining-related hydrogeological characterization studies, operational mine water management design, numerical modelling and reporting.
- Develop and maintain long-term client relationships. Manage projects from start to finish, with scope, budget and schedule that meet or exceed client expectations
- Plan, organize and execute field programs with consideration for safe practices, while regularly communicating with clients and contractors.
- Collect and interpret field data, write technical reports, and collaborate with internal colleagues and external clients.
- Supervise, train and mentor junior and intermediate professional staff in the field and office.
- Present results to internal and external groups. Ensure that project deliverables meet BGC’s quality standards.
- Occasional travel to project locations, both domestic and international.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience
- Graduate degree in hydrogeology, or geology, geological engineering or related discipline with specialization in hydrogeology.
- Registered Professional Engineer or Geoscientist in a Canadian jurisdiction
- Fundamental understanding of hydrogeology, hydrology, and engineering geology combined with the ability to integrate and work with geotechnical and hydrotechnical disciplines
- Experience with mine site water management and monitoring, tailings and water storage dam design and seepage control, pit dewatering and depressurization, site investigation and characterization, permitting and environmental impact assessments
- Exceptional communications skills in English, both written and oral, and the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Valid driver’s license
Desired Education, Experience & Competencies
- Familiarity with numerical groundwater flow modelling
- Knowledge of water quality assessments and hydrogeochemistry; ability to manage large water quality datasets to support groundwater monitoring programs and permitting
- Experience working with mining clients in western Canada; familiarity with regulatory context in British Columbia
Drug & Alcohol TestingTo ensure we meet our client’s compliance requirements and our workplace health and safety commitments, BGC has a drug and alcohol policy that applies to this position. The policy states that an employee may be required to take a drug and alcohol test prior to engaging in field work. This testing could be requested within an employee’s first week or in the future, as required. It is important to note that some clients also require random drug and alcohol testing, and/or testing in the event of a health and safety accident or incident.
Driver’s LicenseBGC requires that employees have a valid driver's license, and that employees can drive a field pickup truck. Upon hiring, BGC will require a driver’s abstract to allow for a safety review of your driving history.
Travel and Vaccination BGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment to ensure the health and safety of employees while on business travel and during field assignments. To meet travel and client requirements, employees may be required to receive vaccinations such as yellow fever, COVID-19, malaria, etc. If you require an accommodation or wish to discuss your situation, please contact Human Resources. BGC requires that you have a current passport for this position.
COVID-19 VaccinationBGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and we are following current public health orders to ensure the health and safety of our employees while maintaining their privacy and respecting their individual circumstances. As of July 4, 2022, the BGC COVID-19 vaccination policy has been suspended until further notice. If BGC resumes this policy, all employees will be required to submit all COVID-19 vaccination records to HR. If you require any accommodations or are not able to comply with this request, please inform Human Resources.
BGC offers our employees the following:
- Our ‘One Team’ culture supporting health, wellness, safety and diversity
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Maternity/Paternity leave top ups
- Professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Flexible workplace with office and home arrangements
- Social and wellness activities
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation with your application, please contact us.