BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international applied earth sciences professional services firm. We are proud of our talented team of over 700 employees, spanning the fields of Engineering, Geoscience, Software, Geomatics, Data Science, Accounting, Administration, Health & Safety and Human Resources. Alongside our clients and industry partners, BGC works collaboratively as ‘One Team’, dedicated to solving the world’s most critical applied earth science challenges. BGC has Canadian offices located in Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Fredericton, Halifax, and offices in Golden (Colorado), Santiago (Chile), Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) and Brisbane (Australia). Our flat management structure creates a culture of innovation, excellence and transparency and a casual, dynamic and inclusive work environment. BGC prides itself on offering training and mentoring opportunities to further our employees’ professional growth as well as social and wellness activities that contribute to the connection and wellbeing of our team. We believe in One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense and Clarity.
BGC is seeking an experienced Geotechnical or Geological Engineer to be part of our new and growing team in Australia. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in engineering consulting and will have technical expertise and project management experience in one of the primary sectors in which BGC works. These include the mining, transportation and pipeline sectors and expertise may include site investigation, geohazard assessment, geotechnical design, and construction quality assurance. Candidates with experience in tailings dam design would be especially well suited for this role. Some exposure to geohazard management and risk-informed decision making would be desirable. The suitable candidate will work in multi-disciplinary teams, leading tasks related to the full cycle of geotechnical design and construction. The ideal candidate will also have a desire to work with our global team and to contribute to projects outside of Australia while helping develop our Australia client-base in line with BGC’s strategic direction. The ideal candidate will be interested in providing technical leadership, excellent client service, and advancing innovative practice while practicing our values of One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense, and Clarity. This position will be based at a new office location in Brisbane, Australia, with occasional travel to other BGC global office and project locations.
- Act as a project engineer and technical lead for specific aspects of mining, pipeline or transportation projects
- Train, mentor, and supervise technical work of Junior staff
- Manage projects, prepare proposals, and track budgets.
- Author or co-author reports
- Organize and supervise field programs, including: site investigation, construction, dam safety inspections
- Work with client and partner representatives
- Help lead business development and planning initiatives
- Help promote BGC vision, values and culture amongst BGC staff
- Travel as required, which could occasionally include extended shifts at remote sites
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Greater than 5 years relevant work experience in Australia
- Post-graduate degree in Geological, Geotechnical, or Civil Engineering
- Registered (or eligible for registration) as a chartered engineer (CPEng)
- Leadership, analytical and project management skills
- Excellent communication skills
Drug & Alcohol TestingTo ensure we meet our client’s compliance requirements and our workplace health and safety commitments, BGC has a drug and alcohol policy that applies to this position. The policy states that an employee may be required to take a drug and alcohol test prior to engaging in field work. This testing could be requested within an employee’s first week or in the future, as required. It is important to note that some clients also require random drug and alcohol testing, and/or testing in the event of a health and safety accident or incident. Driver’s LicenseBGC requires that employees have a valid driver's license, and that employees can drive a field pickup truck. Upon hiring, BGC will require a driver’s abstract to allow for a safety review of your driving history.
Travel and Vaccination BGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment to ensure the health and safety of employees while on business travel and during field assignments. To meet travel and client requirements, employees may be required to receive vaccinations such as yellow fever, COVID-19, malaria, etc. If you require an accommodation or wish to discuss your situation, please contact Human Resources. BGC requires that you have a current passport for this position. COVID-19 VaccinationBGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and we are following current public health orders to ensure the health and safety of our employees while maintaining their privacy and respecting their individual circumstances. As of July 4, 2022, the BGC COVID-19 vaccination policy has been suspended until further notice. If BGC resumes this policy, all employees will be required to submit all COVID-19 vaccination records to HR. If you require any accommodations or are not able to comply with this request, please inform Human Resources.
BGC offers our employees the following:
- Our ‘One Team’ culture supporting health, wellness, safety and diversity
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Maternity/Paternity leave top ups
- Professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Flexible workplace with office and home arrangements
- Social and wellness activities
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation with your application, please contact us.