BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international applied earth sciences professional services firm. We are proud of our talented team of over 700 employees, spanning the fields of Engineering, Geoscience, Software, Geomatics, Data Science, Accounting, Administration, Health & Safety and Human Resources. Alongside our clients and industry partners, BGC works collaboratively as ‘One Team’, dedicated to solving the world’s most critical applied earth science challenges. BGC has Canadian offices located in Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Fredericton, Halifax, and offices in Golden (Colorado), Santiago (Chile), Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) and Brisbane (Australia). Our flat management structure creates a culture of innovation, excellence and transparency and a casual, dynamic and inclusive work environment. BGC prides itself on offering training and mentoring opportunities to further our employees’ professional growth as well as social and wellness activities that contribute to the connection and wellbeing of our team. We believe in One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense and Clarity.
BGC is seeking an intermediate to senior level lead field engineer/engineering technologist with experience in tailings dam construction and tailings dam design. They will work in a multidisciplinary team, acting as the on-site project lead for tailings dam construction. The ideal candidate will gain valuable industry experience working at a multinational Engineering firm, while practicing our values of One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense, and Clarity.
- Be the on-site project lead responsible for representing the Engineer of Record for tailings dam construction
- Train, mentor, and supervise the on-site work of Junior staff
- Organize and lead construction quality assurance programs
- Manage Construction Monitoring and QA Group workload and resources
- Oversee Construction and QA activities, assist field construction monitoring and QA team when required
- Communicate design related details to Construction Team, Contractor and office design team
- Review of as-built drawings and construction progress drawings
- Identify construction issues and liaise the resolution of these
- Prepare responses for Request for Information (RFI)
- Prepare Non Conformance Reports (NCR)
- Work with client representatives
- Help promote BGC vision, values and culture amongst BGC staff
- Work on site on 2 week in 2 week out rotations. Longer shifts of 3 weeks may occasionally be required
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- 5-15 years relevant work experience
- Undergraduate degree in Civil or Geological Engineering, or a diploma in Engineering Technology
- Experience in tailings dam construction
- Excellent communication skills
Drug & Alcohol TestingTo ensure we meet our client’s compliance requirements and our workplace health and safety commitments, BGC has a drug and alcohol policy that applies to this position. The policy states that an employee may be required to take a drug and alcohol test prior to engaging in field work. This testing could be requested within an employee’s first week or in the future, as required. It is important to note that some clients also require random drug and alcohol testing, and/or testing in the event of a health and safety accident or incident. Driver’s LicenseBGC requires that employees have a valid driver's license, and that employees can drive a field pickup truck. Upon hiring, BGC will require a driver’s abstract to allow for a safety review of your driving history.
Travel and Vaccination BGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment to ensure the health and safety of employees while on business travel and during field assignments. To meet travel and client requirements, employees may be required to receive vaccinations such as yellow fever, COVID-19, malaria, etc. If you require an accommodation or wish to discuss your situation, please contact Human Resources. BGC requires that you have a current passport for this position. COVID-19 VaccinationBGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and we are following current public health orders to ensure the health and safety of our employees while maintaining their privacy and respecting their individual circumstances. As of July 4, 2022, the BGC COVID-19 vaccination policy has been suspended until further notice. If BGC resumes this policy, all employees will be required to submit all COVID-19 vaccination records to HR. If you require any accommodations or are not able to comply with this request, please inform Human Resources.
BGC offers our employees the following:
- Our ‘One Team’ culture supporting health, wellness, safety and diversity
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Maternity/Paternity leave top ups
- Professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Flexible workplace with office and home arrangements
- Social and wellness activities
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation with your application, please contact us.