BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international applied earth sciences professional services firm. We are proud of our talented team of over 700 employees, spanning the fields of Engineering, Geoscience, Software, Geomatics, Data Science, Accounting, Administration, Health & Safety and Human Resources. Alongside our clients and industry partners, BGC works collaboratively as ‘One Team’, dedicated to solving the world’s most critical applied earth science challenges. BGC has Canadian offices located in Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Fredericton, Halifax, and offices in Golden (Colorado), Santiago (Chile), Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) and Brisbane (Australia). Our flat management structure creates a culture of innovation, excellence and transparency and a casual, dynamic and inclusive work environment. BGC prides itself on offering training and mentoring opportunities to further our employees’ professional growth as well as social and wellness activities that contribute to the connection and wellbeing of our team. We believe in One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense and Clarity.
The RoleBGC is seeking an Intermediate to Senior level Geotechnical / Civil Engineer to join our growing Geohazards discipline team. Our team is a diverse group of geotechnical / civil engineers, geoscientists and data scientists that excel at integrating our understanding of geohazard processes with mitigation design. The suitable candidate will bring an understanding of geohazard processes, risk assessment, geotechnical design, and geotechnical engineering to collaborate with multi-disciplined project teams across BGC’s various business sectors including communities, transportation, mining and pipelines and on technically challenging medium to large scale projects.
- Act as a project engineer or project lead for geohazard modeling, mitigation design, and construction projects
- Manage or support management of projects, including proposals, budgets, schedules, staffing, and scope
- Train and mentor junior and intermediate professional staff in the field and office
- Help foster and strengthen BGC values and culture amongst BGC staff
- Occasional travel to project locations both domestic and international
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Minimum 5-15 years of relevant professional experience
- Professional Engineer with EGBC, or similar association in the jurisdiction of employment
- A fundamental understanding of geohazards, risk assessment, geotechnical design, and mitigation construction, combined with the ability to integrate work with engineering geology and hydrotechnical disciplines.
- Experience in steep creek hazard and risk assessments, hazard modeling, mitigation design and construction, is an asset
- Experience leading project teams and managing client relationships
- Exceptional communication skills in English, both written and oral, and the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Must have a valid driver's license
Drug & Alcohol TestingTo ensure we meet our client’s compliance requirements and our workplace health and safety commitments, BGC has a drug and alcohol policy that applies to this position. The policy states that an employee may be required to take a drug and alcohol test prior to engaging in field work. This testing could be requested within an employee’s first week or in the future, as required. It is important to note that some clients also require random drug and alcohol testing, and/or testing in the event of a health and safety accident or incident. Driver’s LicenseBGC requires that employees have a valid driver's license, and that employees can drive a field pickup truck. Upon hiring, BGC will require a driver’s abstract to allow for a safety review of your driving history.
Travel and Vaccination BGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment to ensure the health and safety of employees while on business travel and during field assignments. To meet travel and client requirements, employees may be required to receive vaccinations such as yellow fever, COVID-19, malaria, etc. If you require an accommodation or wish to discuss your situation, please contact Human Resources. BGC requires that you have a current passport for this position. COVID-19 VaccinationBGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and we are following current public health orders to ensure the health and safety of our employees while maintaining their privacy and respecting their individual circumstances. As of July 4, 2022, the BGC COVID-19 vaccination policy has been suspended until further notice. If BGC resumes this policy, all employees will be required to submit all COVID-19 vaccination records to HR. If you require any accommodations or are not able to comply with this request, please inform Human Resources.
Company BenefitsBGC offers our employees the following:
- Our ‘One Team’ culture supporting health, wellness, safety and diversity
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Maternity/Paternity leave top ups
- Professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Flexible workplace with office and home arrangements
- Social and wellness activities
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation with your application, please contact BGC Human Resources.