BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international applied earth sciences professional services firm. We are proud of our talented team of over 700 employees, spanning the fields of Engineering, Geoscience, Software, Geomatics, Data Science, Accounting, Administration, Health & Safety and Human Resources. Alongside our clients and industry partners, BGC works collaboratively as ‘One Team’, dedicated to solving the world’s most critical applied earth science challenges. BGC has Canadian offices located in Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Fredericton, Halifax, and offices in Golden (Colorado), Santiago (Chile), Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) and Brisbane (Australia). Our flat management structure creates a culture of innovation, excellence and transparency and a casual, dynamic and inclusive work environment. BGC prides itself on offering training and mentoring opportunities to further our employees’ professional growth as well as social and wellness activities that contribute to the connection and wellbeing of our team. We believe in One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense and Clarity.
BGC is seeking an Intermediate Groundwater Flow Modeler with a background in modelling for mining and engineering applications. The successful candidate will join our growing team of modelling specialists, and will work closely with project managers, engineers, and geoscientists across BGC. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the development of numerical solutions, with applied, field-based experience, to anchor understanding of how models relate to the real world. With BGC, you will have the opportunity to develop your technical leadership, working with our experienced team of numerical modelers, and will be encouraged to mentor junior engineers and geoscientists with an interest in modelling. This position can be based at any of BGC’s Canadian office locations. Responsibilities
- Act as technical lead on project scopes and apply hydrogeological principles to various groundwater problems.
- Provide technical support for geological and hydrogeological data analyses, visualization, and development of conceptual and numerical groundwater models.
- Use your expertise in numerical modelling in support of mining, tailings, and other engineering projects.
- Work with other technical leads to develop proposals, budgets, schedules, and scopes of services.
- Perform field work in support of geological, geotechnical and hydrogeological investigations.
- Collect and interpret field data, write technical reports, and collaborate with internal colleagues and external clients.
- Promote BGCs capacity for undertaking innovative and advanced hydrogeological projects.
- Present results to internal and external groups.
- Integrate with hydrogeology and hydrology teams on coupled surface water and groundwater modelling projects
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Graduate degree in hydrogeology, geology, geological engineering or related discipline.
- 5 to 10 years of consulting experience and technical leadership.
- Registered professional, P.Geo. or P.Eng. with EGBC or similar association.
- Experience in groundwater flow modelling, including model building, calibration, sensitivity and uncertainty analysis, and automated parameter estimation techniques.
- An understanding of physical hydrogeology and geology, preferably with practical field experience in borehole logging, monitoring well installation, and hydraulic testing and analysis.
- Experience in mine site water management, mine dewatering and depressurization, site investigation and characterization, tailings and water storage dam design and seepage control, permitting and environmental impact assessments.
- Past project experience would ideally include the range of mine life, from pre-feasibility through operations and closure/remediation.
- Proficient in the use of commercial numerical groundwater modelling codes (FEFLOW, MODFLOW, HydroGeoSphere, etc.) for engineering applications.
- Possess an understanding of numerical methods including 3D finite difference, finite element, and control volume finite element approaches.
- Experience with visualization software (GIS, Surfer, CAD, Leapfrog, etc.).
- Proficient in technical writing; able to present, prepare, and review reports.
- Able to communicate with clients and appreciate their project goals. Able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Self-starter with a keen desire to contribute to technical excellence in a “One Team” environment.
Drug & Alcohol TestingTo ensure we meet our client’s compliance requirements and our workplace health and safety commitments, BGC has a drug and alcohol policy that applies to this position. The policy states that an employee may be required to take a drug and alcohol test prior to engaging in field work. This testing could be requested within an employee’s first week or in the future, as required. It is important to note that some clients also require random drug and alcohol testing, and/or testing in the event of a health and safety accident or incident.
Driver’s LicenseBGC requires that employees have a valid driver's license, and that employees can drive a field pickup truck. Upon hiring, BGC will require a driver’s abstract to allow for a safety review of your driving history.
Travel and Vaccination BGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment to ensure the health and safety of employees while on business travel and during field assignments. To meet travel and client requirements, employees may be required to receive vaccinations such as yellow fever, COVID-19, malaria, etc. If you require an accommodation or wish to discuss your situation, please contact Human Resources. BGC requires that you have a current passport for this position.
COVID-19 VaccinationBGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and we are following current public health orders to ensure the health and safety of our employees while maintaining their privacy and respecting their individual circumstances. As of July 4, 2022, the BGC COVID-19 vaccination policy has been suspended until further notice. If BGC resumes this policy, all employees will be required to submit all COVID-19 vaccination records to HR. If you require any accommodations or are not able to comply with this request, please inform Human Resources.
BGC offers our employees the following:
- Our ‘One Team’ culture supporting health, wellness, safety and diversity
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Maternity/Paternity leave top ups
- Professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Flexible workplace with office and home arrangements
- Social and wellness activities
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation with your application, please contact us.