BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international applied earth sciences professional services firm. We are proud of our talented team of over 700 employees, spanning the fields of Engineering, Geoscience, Software, Geomatics, Data Science, Accounting, Administration, Health & Safety and Human Resources. Alongside our clients and industry partners, BGC works collaboratively as ‘One Team’, dedicated to solving the world’s most critical applied earth science challenges. BGC has Canadian offices located in Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Fredericton, Halifax, and offices in Golden (Colorado), Santiago (Chile), Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) and Brisbane (Australia). Our flat management structure creates a culture of innovation, excellence and transparency and a casual, dynamic and inclusive work environment. BGC prides itself on offering training and mentoring opportunities to further our employees’ professional growth as well as social and wellness activities that contribute to the connection and wellbeing of our team. We believe in One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense and Clarity.
BGC is seeking an Intermediate Geochemist with a background in water quality, and metal leaching / acid rock drainage (ML/ARD) theory and practice. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of approximately 50 hydrogeologists, hydrogeological engineers, and geochemists working on mining, pipelines, and linear infrastructure projects across North America. The successful candidate will join our growing team of geochemistry and water quality specialists, and will work closely with multi-disciplinary teams including project managers, engineers, geoscientists, and technicians across BGC. This position can be based at any of BGC’s Canada and US office locations.
- Act as a project geochemist on scopes that may include design and interpretation of metal leaching and acid rock drainage (ML/ARD) data, water quality data, and/or source term development and predictive modeling.
- Organize and supervise field programs. Supervise, train, and mentor junior staff in the field and office
- Develop project scopes and proposals, and support with management of budgets, schedules, staffing and contractors etc.
- Some travel will be required to support junior team members, gain familiarity with project sites, and serve our clients.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Graduate degree in environmental geochemistry, chemistry, geology, hydrogeology, or related discipline
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in both solid-phase geochemistry and water quality assessments
- Registered as an EIT/GIT or P.Eng./P.Geo. with EGBC or similar association
- Understanding of low temperature geochemistry and ML/ARD theory and practice
- Experience with laboratory reporting of geochemical test work and interpretation of results
- Knowledge of water chemistry; able to manage large water quality datasets to support groundwater monitoring programs
- Drilling experience and basic knowledge of the fundamentals of hydrogeology including principles of flow in porous media
- Exceptional communications skills in English, both written and oral, and the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Familiar with the range of mine life, from pre-feasibility through operations and to mine closure.
Desired Education, Experience & Competencies
- Experience with data collection and management, including a high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Excel, programming tools such as Python, or similar.
- Exposure to statistical methods such as temporal trend analysis, percent bias, bivariate or multivariate analysis
- Experience in water quality modelling and prediction (e.g., using PHREEQC, Geochemists Workbench, GoldSim) is an asset
Drug & Alcohol TestingTo ensure we meet our client’s compliance requirements and our workplace health and safety commitments, BGC has a drug and alcohol policy that applies to this position. The policy states that an employee may be required to take a drug and alcohol test prior to engaging in field work. This testing could be requested within an employee’s first week or in the future, as required. It is important to note that some clients also require random drug and alcohol testing, and/or testing in the event of a health and safety accident or incident.
Driver’s LicenseBGC requires that employees have a valid driver's license, and that employees can drive a field pickup truck. Upon hiring, BGC will require a driver’s abstract to allow for a safety review of your driving history.
Travel and Vaccination BGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment to ensure the health and safety of employees while on business travel and during field assignments. To meet travel and client requirements, employees may be required to receive vaccinations such as yellow fever, COVID-19, malaria, etc. If you require an accommodation or wish to discuss your situation, please contact Human Resources. BGC requires that you have a current passport for this position.
COVID-19 VaccinationBGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and we are following current public health orders to ensure the health and safety of our employees while maintaining their privacy and respecting their individual circumstances. As of July 4, 2022, the BGC COVID-19 vaccination policy has been suspended until further notice. If BGC resumes this policy, all employees will be required to submit all COVID-19 vaccination records to HR. If you require any accommodations or are not able to comply with this request, please inform Human Resources.
BGC offers our employees the following:
- Our ‘One Team’ culture supporting health, wellness, safety and diversity
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Maternity/Paternity leave top ups
- Professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Flexible workplace with office and home arrangements
- Social and wellness activities
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation with your application, please contact us.