GZA is seeking a talented Senior Geotechnical Engineer to lead the growth of its geo-engineering services offered out of its Minneapolis operations. This is a Principal-level or Senior Consultant position in the firm and an opportunity for the right individual to build upon GZA’s national reputation in geotechnical engineering by establishing a Minneapolis-based practice that augments other consulting services already being offered locally while drawing upon our national team of geotechnical engineering practitioners to build a practice that reflects the technical excellence of the firm. We are seeking an individual who has an existing strong reputation in the greater Minneapolis marketplace and a network of client relationships on which to grow the local practice.
Our geotechnical projects involve buildings, bridges, highways, railroads, tunnels and marine and waterfront developments, water resources and dams, geo-structural analysis, soil and rock slope stabilization, automated instrumentation programs, resource evaluations, shallow and deep foundation design, earth retention design and ground improvement programs. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of and documented experience in a representative portion of these practice areas.
The position requires the individual to represent GZA in client interactions from proposal development, contracting and project performance phases and to be responsible for day-to-day execution of technical, risk-management and financial aspects of each project. The growth aspect of this role will involve working with GZA’s core service leaders, and corporate marketing and communications team to build the practice and establish GZA geotechnical services within the local market. The role will require strategic planning activities and professional networking, and the hiring, development and mentoring of staff. The candidate should be self-motivated, well organized, detail oriented, quality focused, safety-minded, and must be able to multi-task. Principal-level positions include an ownership position within the firm while Senior Consultant positions have ownership opportunities with the firm and the potential for advancement to the principal level based on performance.
- Internal and client writing/verbal communications
- Managing project teams, delegating to office and field staff and executing day to day activities of geotechnical projects
- Monitoring team performance for compliance with contractual agreements and budgets
- Leading business development activities with support and assistance form colleagues and GZA corporate marketing and communications team
- Preparing proposals and reviewing/writing geotechnical reports and obtaining internal technical QA/QC reviews
- Staff interviewing/hiring, training, mentoring and staff review
- Managing project contractual and financial issues (including terms of agreement, changes in scope, billing process, risk management and loss prevention practices)
- Conducting/reviewing technical analyses/calculations, including geotechnical modeling and software applications such SEEP/W, SLOPE/W, SIGMA/W, Settle3, L-Pile, A-Pile, GRLWEAP, P-Y Wall, DeepEx, Dips, SWedge, Rocplane, Rocfall and/or Plaxis
- Participating in meetings and agency consultation
- Additional job-related duties as assigned
- BS and MS degrees in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering
- 15+ years of relevant geotechnical engineering experience, at least five of which were in the Minneapolis marketplace providing value to clients
- Experienced computer skills using MS Office and engineering software such as those noted above
- Excellent communication, problem solving and organizational skills
- Experience with financial project management
- Demonstrated delegation, leadership, and team building skills
- Experience in execution and management of multiple office and field tasks
- MN P.E. required; additional P.E.’s are a plus
- Out of town assignments are expected. Candidate must have consistent means of transportation to/from project sites and client meetings.
GZA is an employee-owned multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm with a history of more than 55 years of providing innovative engineering solutions to improve the natural and built environment. We are an ENR Top 500 Design firm focused on geotechnical, environmental, water, ecological, and construction management services. With a staff of 700 interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on complex projects above and below ground, GZA’s experts collaborate to provide seamless integration across practice areas, client type, and location. GZA values diversity and is committed to providing an accepting and inclusive work environment for all employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. GZA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, marital or veteran status, age or other protected status.This is a full time position